• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water Tankage Questions, E-35-2

Sethro310

Am new to forum, have 1971 E 35 II #179. Problem is leaking water tank under V berth. Plastic tank under cabin sole seems to be abandoned, is this stainless tank an option, or installed by P O ? Welding of tank is not a prob. But are there any plastic tanks available? Boat is in Newport Ca.any info is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tanks... for the memories....

Am new to forum, have 1971 E 35 II #179. Problem is leaking water tank under V berth. Plastic tank under cabin sole seems to be abandoned, is this stainless tank an option, or installed by P O ? Welding of tank is not a prob. But are there any plastic tanks available? Boat is in Newport Ca.
Any info is appreciated.

Welcome to the group!
Have you ID'd the material for your existing tanks? Gallonage?

Ericson was using Ronco brand rotomolded plastic tanks for many of their boats in the 80's, but yours is from an earlier era. Other owners should be dropping by to chime in with more helpful information...

If you decide to replace a tank and have the shape all (!) worked out and diagramed, start combing through the massive list of tank shapes from Ronco. You might just find one that works for you.
http://www.ronco-plastics.net/newRonco/categories.php?catID=1
Better yet, they have been accommodating and helpful to work with.

Having said all that, I did replace a stock plastic water tank with a larger-capacity custom ss tank quite a few years ago -- it was an odd shape to fit under a settee where the tank had to fit into an area that sloped two directions. Worth ever penny, given that we went from 23 to 38 gallons in the same location.

Plan C would be to have Ronco make you a one-off, absolutely to your specs.... but creating a new steel mold used to run about $600. plus the actual tank cost, some years ago.

If you have some photos do attach them.

Regards,
Loren

ps: hope the OP does not mind that I changed the title to make searching easier.

Last edited:

Philip

Member I
Tank leaking-may not be the tank

I thought that the tank on my boat would need to be replaced. Found that it was the fitting that screws into the tank had cracked. That fitting is a hard plastic, and if something is bouncing around and hits the fitting it can crack. Check that prior to spending any time or money investigating the tank

sailorman

Member II
Am new to forum, have 1971 E 35 II #179. Problem is leaking water tank under V berth. Plastic tank under cabin sole seems to be abandoned, is this stainless tank an option, or installed by P O ? Welding of tank is not a prob. But are there any plastic tanks available? Boat is in Newport Ca.any info is appreciated.

Ronco plastic water tank B115 should fit under your V birth it is 25 gal. same design as your present tank.

Glyn Judson

Tank replacement.

Dear friend, Ronco 714.259.1385 was the OEM for Ericson back in the day and is the place to go today especially given how close they are to you. By going down there in Tustin, you can specify just where and what size fittings you want. They did that for me and I stood there while the guy installed them, a pretty cool process achieved by spinning the fitting into a hole they drilled. No more than 10 seconds or so is all that's needed to fuse (weld) the plastic fitting and the tank together. Call them, decide what tank you need and essentially go down there to see it made, pay for it and take it home in your car. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Tank

I have a spare B-125 V-berth water tank from a 28+, also used on the E-30 and 30+ if you find that your tank is damaged and needs to be replaced. Probably not the tank though. They are pretty tough.

Sethro310

I thought that the tank on my boat would need to be replaced. Found that it was the fitting that screws into the tank had cracked. That fitting is a hard plastic, and if something is bouncing around and hits the fitting it can crack. Check that prior to spending any time or money investigating the tank
It is the tank for sure. I can see where the water is coming out. I can weld and reuse it but I was thinking about going to a plastic tank and maybe trying to get a couple more gallons out of it.

Sam Vickery

Member III
Water Tank

Sethro,

I removed the v-berth water tank on our 32-3. It was leaking from the fill fitting. I took it to Ronco in Tustin. Talked to the owner (Ron), a very nice guy. He replaced the fitting on the spot. I would highly recommend making the short trip to Tustin and speaking with Ron. He has a great operation and can more than likely, repair or provide you with a new tank.

Good luck with the repair. Leaks are never fun.

Sam
North Star
32-3 #684

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Sam,

Good to know, my bow tank has a leak, too. I don't usually fill it for weight-forward reasons.

Cheers,
Christian

Sam Vickery

Member III
No functioning bow tank?

Christian,

Hmm...........sailing to Hawaii with only 30 gallons of water? 15 gallons on starboard and 15 gallons on port? Did you have a watermaker or just an ample supply of gin?

Beam Winds,

Sam

North Star
32-3 #684

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
the early 70's front tanks were stainless. both my front and floor tanks are stainless. E35 #163