• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

just received an 81 ericson sailboat from dad. How do I turn on the water,needs work

Booge

I just received an 1981 ericson from my dad and it needs lots of work. I thought I would start by cleaning her up, but I cannot seem to turn the wate on. I see the two knobs under the sink and have turned them to open, but nothing. I hear the water pump pumping. Any thoughts?

MMLOGAN

Member III
Starting at the tank

Congrats on the new boat!

Have you made sure there is water in the tank(s)? Is there a valve that stops water flow to pump? Does that pump need priming? Is there water running into the bilge when you have the pump running? If you find water running into the bilge, you may have a split fresh water line after the pump. If you are not getting water to the pump and there is no valve in the way, you could have a split in the supply line that is allowing the pump to draw air and not prime.

If you post a bit more about the symptoms I'm sure all of the wise salts on this site can help you figure it out.

Welcome Aboard,

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Welcome to the forum. What model of Ericson do you have?

If you have just filled the water tank for the first time, it can take a while for the pump to fill up the water heater, before any water comes out at the sink. Of course, if the (putative) water heater has been drained, the drain valve may still be open and you may be pumping water into the bilge. Same with a broken or leaky hose. Is water flowing into the bilge? Otherwise, it's an exercise in tracing the lines from the pump to the sink and checking it at every connection. Most pumps will shut off when the system reaches operating pressure, then turn on again briefly whenever you open a tap.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Air may be getting into the system from a connection or damaged hose. I would troubleshoot that first.

An old pump with a worn-out diaphragm makes pumping sounds, but doesn't pump.

Pressure water is a luxury and may wind up far down on your to-do list.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Per his bio here, it is an '81 E-28. It may well have dual foot pumps, for fresh and salt (outside) water as well.

Loren

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Pump Prime

Hi Respected Sailor

On our 81 28+ the Shurflo water pump can lose its prime if we run it dry (winterizing or replacing.) Pump will not prime itself so we disconnect the "out" hose and suck the water into the pump. Then it runs. We have had two Shurflo pumps fail in 30 years. One replacement was bad out of the box. Both pumped when discarded but the auto shut off stopped working. Hope that helps. BTW
we always try to prime the Shurflo Pump with the foot pump but it does not work often.

Pat O'Connell
1981 E28+

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
water woes

I just received an 1981 ericson from my dad and it needs lots of work. I thought I would start by cleaning her up, but I cannot seem to turn the wate on. I see the two knobs under the sink and have turned them to open, but nothing. I hear the water pump pumping. Any thoughts?
I have an 81 38
Here is what I know
There are four valves under the sink 2 are ice box drains 2 are water tanks (unless optional third tank is installed)
The pump is in the engine room
If water is only in one tank and both valves are open then it will not work
A good place to start is close both valves
Place a little water in both tanks
Open One valve use foot pump to see if you get water
If so turn on water pump see if you still get water

Repeat for other tank

After the valves there is a t the joins both lines together then another t that leads to the foot pump.
on our boat the t's are under the trash and can be accessed from the lazerette

After the power pump there is a t to the hot water tank and then to the cold water system.
You will need to listen to see if the pump is pumping water or air. the hot water tank will nned to fill before you get water pressure