• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing fuel fill hose on E-32-3

pick

Member II
Looking at my boat it's not immediately obvious how to go about replacing the hose that goes from the filler cap to the tank, it seems pretty inaccessible. Has anyone done this on a 32-3. If so how did you manage it. Any help would be much appreciated... Mike

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'll take a look this weekend, but when access is needed in the quadrant area I unscrew the water heater so it will push aside a foot or two.

After wiggling through the starboard cockpit seat lid you can sort of lie down across the heater platform and almost reach things.

Each time I do it I feel like renaming my 32-3 "She Hate Me."

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
yeah, pretty bad access. I couldn't see the hose from the helm seat nor the quarter berth. But we probably don't have to see it.

If it was me, I'd first take off the fill fitting and see if the hose will pull out of the hole. Might not, given the hose clamps.

If it does, attach the new hose to the old one and pull out. If hose too stiff, use sender line.

If that won't work, remove the teak trim at the foot of the quarter berth. The shelf has to come out, too. There's a bulkhead back there under the teak, but I can't remember if it goes all the way to the top. Worth a try for access to the upper hose clamps.

If nothing else works, an inspection port could be installed in the cockpit bulkhead under the fill fitting.

Ian S

Member III
Replacing the fuel hose is a major PIA! , nough said. I crawled in the lazarette laid in upside down and put a helper in the 1/4 berth. be careful not to break off any of the multitude of cheap plastic through hull fittings back there, which BTW should absolutely be replaced if original. most were nylon and have become as brittle as glass from age. I went with chromed bronze for all and they look great!
I have noticed on 32-3's some fuel fill fittings were mounted on the top of the coaming and some on the side. if on the side (as mine was) a 45 degree filler neck was a must as the hose has a propensity to kink. Any owners experiencing slow fueling / filling ability this is most likely your issue.
I pulled the tank out to increase access and cleaned it out. I had probably a 1/4 - 1/2 lb of misc debris in there despite the fact that I extract with a hand pump 1 Gal of fuel prior to spring commissioning to remove condensation that has collected at the bottom of the tank.

Good luck and be ready for traction afterward! Capt. Ian
1990 32-3

Last edited:

pick

Member II
Thanks for your replies. The existing hose isn't that bad. it feels solid and doesn't leave a diesel smell on a rag wiped on it. There are no markings on it so I doubt that it is the required A1 type hose required since when the tank is full there is fuel in the horizontal foot or so that exits the tank. My original thought was to loosen the hose on the tank end and pull it out through the deck-fill end. I must admit that I didn't consider that inaccessible hose clamps on the deck fill might prevent the hose from being removed. Thanks for the warning. Then some sort of access hole might need to be made "arrrggg!". Since it's almost boating season I think I'll spend the summer planning this project rather than actually "doing" it until I have more time. It doesn't seem that replacing a hose should be such a project. Thanks for all of your comments.