• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

School and the cruising lifestyle.

Gregoryulrich

Member III
My girlfriend and I are planning some big changes for the near future which unfortunately includes selling my boat and pulling up our stakes in Southern California for a couple of years. Each of us has been nurturing a desire to do some cruising and together that dream seems so much more realistic. One fact I'm coming to grips with is that while Cole can earn money anywhere because she makes her living writer and works remotely already, my skill set is too varied to be relied upon for making any real money at sea and between stints. I've decided to go back to school for a marine systems engineering certificate and my first choice of schools is The Landing School outside of Kennebunk, Maine. They offer a 10 month course in marine systems with the option to test into 1 NMEA certification and 3 ABYC certs as well as a 2 year degree option if I choose. I'm going to try to squeeze in my Six Pack license at some point as well.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice they'd give me in the way of career paths within that field, salary expectations, certification vs. degree earning potential or even any life advise, aside from purchasing several pairs of Bronco Nagurski long underwear, I know that already.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One of our helpful contributors here goes by the handle of Mainesail, IIRC.

He has a fine web site with a ton of well documented projects, too.
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

You might drop him a message with your questions.
I recall that there is a contact listed for him on the site, and you can click on his screen name here and find an email option.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Gregoryulrich

Member III
Thank you Loren, I'm very familiar with his site. It's an amazing source of information. I never thought to ask him but that's a great idea.