• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New owners

Navman

Member III
My wife and I are in the process of finalizing our purchase of a 1986, Ericson 38.She showed as very clean and well taken care of. Sea trials on Tuesday. We really liked the deck and cockpit layout and the salon is just the right size for us and our occasional overnighters. We will be delivering her from Orient point on Long Island Sound to Worten creek on the Chesapeake in 3 weeks. Am interested in meeting / rafting up with other 38 owners in the Chesapeake. Already have a trip planned to Baltimore's inner harbor for Memorial day weekend. We also typically go from the Chesapeake to Block Island once a year ( not this year though). Interested to hear from other 38 owners and their adventure's.

Thanks!

Navman

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Northern Bay Ericsons

Hi Navman,

There are a few other Ericsons on the northern Chesapeake. I've seen a couple of beautiful 38's in the area, I hope they'll chime in for you. I've got a 1970 E-32 on the Sassafras, but we usually cruise locally, not quite as far as Block Island yet. Our big cruise for the summer will be all the way to Rock Hall. :baby:

I think someone tried to organize a raft up last year, but I don't think it ever worked out.

Have a safe journey and hope to see you guys out there this summer!

-Dean
1970 E-32 Vivant

Navman

Member III
Thanks Dean, I know a few boats up the Sassafras. Been sailing in and out of there for 25 years. Where do you keep your boat?

Navman

ilnadi

Member I
Enjoy your new boat.
We just ought a E27 at Kent Island and it is moving to NJ as soon as I can figure out how. Sounds like we'll be crossing each other!

ddoles

Member III
I bought my 1988 E38-200 in 2013 from a broker on the Chesapeake and have since kept her in Rock Hall. The 38 is a great boat and I've had fun hitting most of the highlights in that part of the bay. Baltimore, Annapolis, St. Michaels, Oxford, Solomons... Since I live in NJ its now time to bring her back north closer to home. I'll be sailing her back to Jersey City over Memorial Day weekend. We may cross paths along the way.

Best of luck with purchase and the delivery.

Dave

Navman

Member III
Dave,
Rock hall is very nice. I have spent a good deal of time sailing out of Haven Harbor on a Sabre 36 "Bluebird". That section of the bay is perfect for destination day sails and overnighters.
Have a great season.

Don / Navman

Navman

Member III
Well it looks like we will be the owners of a 1986 E- 38 on Thursday, Will load it on Saturday and depart for the Chesapeake on Sunday for Worton Creek. I am currently trying to obtain some spare fuel filter/ water separator filters for the trip as the tank was only 1/2 full for 14 months. I am having a hard time identifying the correct filter as the one currently on is not listed on the Racor sight. The engine is a universal 5432. Current sparer filter is R24SUL. filter on the engine is R24P. I am guessing I need a 24 series but don't know about the other designations "SUL" or "P". I am guessing it denotes the micron size? If I am correct what micron size would be suggested? I have a trip of over 400 NM and want to replace the existing fuel filter and take along about 4 spares. I was thinking replace with a 2 micron and take two additional 2 micron & one 10 micron. Should the fuel clog to readily I want the 10 as a backup. Any thoughts or additional information would be greatly appreciated.
Don

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Westerbeke told me that I should use a 10 micron filter for the Racor - R24T. The Universal filter on the engine is 25 microns and the 10u filter on the Racor allows it to pick up most of the dirt.

The 2u filter will also work. P suffix is 2u, as is the "sul".

I use a 10u Wix #33390 (NAPA 3390) on the engine. All Universal engines use the same fuel filter on the engine, p/n

CapnJJ

Welcome

Navman, My wife and I purchased and cruise an 89 38-200 and are going on our fourth season. We keep her in Newport RI but rarely stay still for long. I have spent much time and energy getting to know most systems, doing refits, upgrades, repair and maintenance. We feel money spent on upgrades is a sound investment on such a well designed classic. Glad to help if possible welcome to the club. Hope your delivery went smoothly - best, JJ

Navman

Member III
Thanks JJ. appreciate it. Delivery is delayed for 1-1/2 weeks, but it is always a fun trip. Have done this route about 16 times Chesapeake to Block) and it is always a lot of fun no matter what the temperature or weather is.

Take care and have a good season. Remember to" keep the round side down!"

Navman aka Don Moran

Navman

Member III
New home

Well we finally got our (new to us) E38 home. Delivered her from Orient point/ Montauk Point, L.I. in four and a half days. Stepped offshore off of Sandy Hook and had 25 - 30 knot winds gusting to 35 on the nose. Of course we had to do a fuel filter change at 3 am. She handled everything very well with double reefed main and postage stamp jib then just main and motor sailing at night. She faired better that her crew did (* got bounced around a lot when down below). Am now berthed in Worton Creek, Md. Spent a night in Still Pond a week and a half ago and spent the night at Handy Point last Saturday after sailing down to the Francis Scott Key Bridge to Baltimore and back. Made it down there in 3 hrs! Am going out for another overnighter this Saturday. Not sure where we are going yet, but if there is anyone out there who wants to do a raft up, get in touch! (dpmsail@yahoo.com)

Don Moran AKA Navman