• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Personal Cockpit Device, Design and Installation

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The safety harness thread got me thinking about falling overboard, and reducing the likelihood of doing it.

Now if the ladies excuse us, we may withdraw a moment to the cigar section of the forum.

Thank you.

Gentlemen, who among us has not peed over the side? It is an abomination to go below and peel away foulies in a head the size of a phone booth, especially if the off watch is sleeping.

However, over-the-side peeing is frequently unsatisfying, and can result in spillage on the deck or upon the person. True, there is adventure in taking life in one's hands, as it were, to hang over the stern pulpit. Lore has it that many have been lost so doing, and ignominiously.

The routine male act of relief while sailing requires one hand for you and one hand for the ship, usually in the form of the backstay. However, even for the most robust of our number, the actions of the wind and seas upon the yacht may impede concentration, and when numerous unrelated muscles are recruited just for the act of holding on, delay or even halt production.

Yes, I know, you yourself can write your name on the side of a breaking sea with one hand while playing the harmonica with the other; I enter this in the ledger for the rest of us.

Additionally, as you prepare to enact the necessary, some other clod with you on deck is always going to remark, "don't fall overboard."

Usually among men such unrequested cautions are considered boorish or interfering, but peeing from the cockpit is the exception.

There is a solution to all this which I use and recommend. It is well known, but since the subject of this sort of thing doesn't come up often, worth repeating.

The drawing below will be immediately clear.

The device shown is cut from a gallon plastic jug, and attached to the pushput with a 10-foot cord.

Utilization is intuitive, with a caveat: it is best to place all of the anatomy inside the jug, rather than merely part of it. In this way no aiming is necessary, and all the gear is nicely contained.

After use, do not attempt to empty the jug, which might require a precarious grope for a gunwale or ill-advised fling into the swirling breeze.

Merely toss the whole thing over the stern rail, where it will trail in the wake, cleansing itself and ready for the next man.

I recommend removing the jug and line during the daytime, if guests are on board.

Cockpit head.jpg

Vagabond39

Member III
Cockpit Convenience

The safety harness thread got me thinking about falling overboard, and reducing the likelihood of doing it.

Now if the ladies excuse us, we may withdraw a moment to the cigar section of the forum.

Thank you.

Gentlemen, who among us has not peed over the side? It is an abomination to go below and peel away foulies in a head the size of a phone booth, especially if the off watch is sleeping.

However, over-the-side peeing is frequently unsatisfying, and can result in spillage on the deck or upon the person. True, there is adventure in taking life in one's hands, as it were, to hang over the stern pulpit. Lore has it that many have been lost so doing, and ignominiously.

The routine male act of relief while sailing requires one hand for you and one hand for the ship, usually in the form of the backstay. However, even for the most robust of our number, the actions of the wind and seas upon the yacht may impede concentration, and when numerous unrelated muscles are recruited just for the act of holding on, delay or even halt production.

Yes, I know, you yourself can write your name on the side of a breaking sea with one hand while playing the harmonica with the other; I enter this in the ledger for the rest of us.

Additionally, as you prepare to enact the necessary, some other clod with you on deck is always going to remark, "don't fall overboard."

Usually among men such unrequested cautions are considered boorish or interfering, but peeing from the cockpit is the exception.

There is a solution to all this which I use and recommend. It is well known, but since the subject of this sort of thing doesn't come up often, worth repeating.

The drawing below will be immediately clear.

The device shown is cut from a gallon plastic jug, and attached to the pushput with a 10-foot cord.

Utilization is intuitive, with a caveat: it is best to place all of the anatomy inside the jug, rather than merely part of it. In this way no aiming is necessary, and all the gear is nicely contained.

After use, do not attempt to empty the jug, which might require a precarious grope for a gunwale or ill-advised fling into the swirling breeze.

Merely toss the whole thing over the stern rail, where it will trail in the wake, cleansing itself and ready for the next man.

I recommend removing the jug and line during the daytime, if guests are on board.

View attachment 16324
I have found that a Listerene Bottle satifies that need quite well. And it can be resealed for later disposal and cleaning.
Just don't place it near your tooth brush!

I just want to say I really like the drawing.

As for the suitable container - an empty gallon of winterizing antifreeze might be the best. You just cut the top of the bottle and put the cap on. The handle is perfect to hold in your hand and also easy to tie the line. I'm going to try this one this summer.