• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 - Jacklines

adam

Member III
Anyone have any photos of what they've done on their Ericson 29s, and also just any general advice?

I'm thinking about running tubular nylon from the cabin top traveler along the top of the cabin to an anchor cleat I've added near the bow. Sound reasonable?

And... how should I attach it on either side?

Cheers!
-Adam

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'm interested in this too. (Have you noticed the "similar threads" button that pops up down below here?)
I bought the West Marine kit that comes in the little blue bags - it was on sale for just about the number of WM coupons that I had on me that day. But beyond checking that it fit, I haven't deployed it. I haven't been out of the river since then. I believe the instructions show rigging it from the bow cleat to the stern cleat, along the side decks. But this doesn't seem particularly protective - it would keep you attached to the boat, but wouldn't keep you from falling off. Your idea seems more reasonable.

Somewhere I saw someone comment that he always clips into the line on the opposite side of the boat... but I can't quite picture how one would move past the mast in that case :confused:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's what works for me. It assumes a 6-foot tether and uses three hefty D-rings with large washers as backing plates.

The key D-ring is on the cockpit bulkhead, an easy reach when standing in the companionway. You clip in from below, then climb up. The full-length tether reaches everything in the working cockpit, from cabin house winches to steering gear on the stern. I never unclip until safely belowdecks.

jackline connection.jpg

For going forward, D-rings are mounted on the aft cabin house top. The jacklines run from there to bow cleats, on either side, inside the shrouds. To go forward, double the tether to reduce its length.
jackline detail.JPG

jackline deck.jpg

I use 1" blue webbing from Sailrite, rated at 2400 pounds or so. I suppose the yellow is stronger, but chafe is the issue not breaking strength, and UV not a problem because nobody leaves them baking on the deck.

Lots of ways to do this, the key is to set it up so it actually gets used.

The most important issue: no possible use of the system should allow you to trail off the stern of the boat, and the tether should never be attached to anything but its dedicated fitting or jack line.

And, oh yeah--jack lines aren't designed to keep you on the boat, but rather attached to the boat if you get tossed off. I rig dock lines in loops from the topsides when offshore to facilitate climbing back aboard over the windward side.

Last edited:

sailingjazz

Member II
E29 Jacklines

I'm interested in this too. (Have you noticed the "similar threads" button that pops up down below here?)
I bought the West Marine kit that comes in the little blue bags - it was on sale for just about the number of WM coupons that I had on me that day. But beyond checking that it fit, I haven't deployed it. I haven't been out of the river since then. I believe the instructions show rigging it from the bow cleat to the stern cleat, along the side decks. But this doesn't seem particularly protective - it would keep you attached to the boat, but wouldn't keep you from falling off. Your idea seems more reasonable.

Somewhere I saw someone comment that he always clips into the line on the opposite side of the boat... but I can't quite picture how one would move past the mast in that case :confused:

I purchased webbing strap with 5500lb rating. I just tie the line from the rear cleat to the bow cleat on both port and starboard. You can clip on before leaving the cabin and remain clipped on while going forward. I tried clipping on to the opposite side but didn't think it worked very well. I have an E28 but I would think the same idea. I found a knot for flat webbing http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/techtips/water-knot-webbing-anchor/ where you tie a hitch in the webbing loop the bitter end through the cleat and then run the bitter end back through the hitch. Works very well for me and lets me tighten up the jackline every morning. I got the webbing strap on Amazon. I have to add that I have never had to rely on the jackline so can't vouch for it effectiveness but, it does contribute to my feeling of security when the seas kick up.

Cheers
Kevin

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just tie the line from the rear cleat to the bow cleat on both port and starboard.

The attachment must not allow being towed behind the boat.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That's what I do. The slippery webbing doesn't hold a knot well, so I bind it with light line for security.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That's what I do. The slippery webbing doesn't hold a knot well, so I bind it with light line for security.

Good idea. That material is indeed slithery. Last summer for our trip and down the WA coast we used a cleat hitch on both ends, with some extra layers of hitches added. I also had to take up the slack later as the webbing would stretch after a wetting.

I also have a SS pad eye near the front of the cockpit footwell, and another one on one combing aft for the helms person to clip onto. We all used it too -- just seemed like a good idea, especially at night.

Loren