• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pulsing sound from radio when depth meter is on

Hey everyone,

I've got a car stereo wired to one of the accessory switches on the 12 volt DC panel.
I also have an electronic Speed/Depth gauge wired to a different switch on the same panel.

The stereo works great as long as the Speed/Depth gauge is off. As soon as I turn it on, I hear an electric pulsing/popping through the speakers. I assume that I need to install a resistor of some kind on one or both of those circuits, but I'm a relative newbie when it comes to electricity. I would very much appreciate suggestions.

Guy Stevens

Torroid beads on the power leads to the radio

Place some torroid beads with wraps of the power wires around them leading to the Radio power in and on the antenna lead. (Yes even if you only listen to the cd player LOL)

This is a good article that shows how to do it.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

I would add them to the power side of the radio too.

Happy Wrapping.

Guy
:)

Thanks, Guy!

I admit, my brain started to turn to mush after page 2, so I jumped ahead to page 11 where it talks about what not to do when wiring. I think I've got the gist of it. :)

Guy Stevens

Yep that happens

You need a ferrite toroid not a Ferret with an attitude.....

LOL

I did have a friend once with a ferret named Ferret Faucet.

Guy

I've been doing some googling, and could the problem be that I don't have a properly grounded 12V system? Is there some kind of copper ground plate somewhere that I should be looking for? Something like this?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That sort of thing is for SSB or Ham radio antennas. Or lightning rods, maybe. Not likely to be one on your boat unless the PO had one of those.

Guy Stevens

could the problem be that I don't have a properly grounded 12V system? Is there some kind of copper ground plate somewhere that I should be looking for? Something like ...[/B][/U]?
NO.

That is not this issue. You don't need to spend that money or that big a project.

Guy

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Dynaplate

About thirty years ago we had a Datamarine Loran that would not work well until we installed a Dynaplate. The engine had been the ground. Then the Loran worked great for twenty years until it failed completely. Lot of foggy vacations on that old loran. Now we have a GPS. I presume that the Dynaplate improved ground fixed the problem? Spring polishing and reloading the boat now a big problem. When my daughter was around we always had young men basketball types that worked cheap and fast when they were not flirting. hmmm

Pat O'Connell
1981 E28+

Guy Stevens

Different wavelengths

The dynaplate for the loran worked, but so would have some copper foil in the bilge. Receiving can be improved at longer wavelengths by the use of a bonding system to seawater, (like a ground plane in terrestrial applications.)

IN the case of a broadcast US based radio, it would not have a marked effect.

Guy

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Grounds

Thanks Guy. We all appreciate your counsel on these issues.:) I'm going to try lacrosse players for the boat polishing. We are hoping for the best.:nerd::nerd:

Pat O'Connell
1981 Ericson 28+

frick

Member III
good electrical ground

Place some torroid beads with wraps of the power wires around them leading to the Radio power in and on the antenna lead. (Yes even if you only listen to the cd player LOL)

This is a good article that shows how to do it.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

I would add them to the power side of the radio too.

Happy Wrapping.

Guy

A good electrical ground is very important. Your 12 volt system is grounded to the battery, and your battery ground should be grounded to the engine. Some electronics are dirty... The can send noise down the power wires. A ferrite torrid create a choke which can stop the RF noise on the power lines.

Try a choke on both the red an black wires of the noisy device, and the radio.
Make sure your ground is good.
Rick