• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

bilge pump

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
The largest quality pump that will fit in the space. :)
smooth on the inside discharge hose is best, a good vented loop is better than a back-flow device.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dewatering options

Our '88 model boat came with three separate bilge pumps, a large manual one operable from the helm (which meets ORC regs for racing offshore) and standard for all the 80's Ericsons and Olsons AFAIK.

And, an electric chamber-type electric pump for the bilge that cannot back-syphon due to it's design.
And, a second identical chamber-type that, while having its intake in the bilge, is switch-controlled from the head compartment and supposedly intended for a shower pump out. Whatever the label, redundancy is always a good thing.

With the passage of time, i.e. decades, both have been replaced with new equivalent ones.

Many years ago, while seduced by the theoretical GPM brags of the centrifugal pumps, I replaced the main electric one with a Rule pump. After finding that it could cause back flooding with big seas and/or a large following wave due to speed, I went back to the original pump type. I also discovered that with a longish hose run aft, it could air lock, too.
(I am a slow learner, but occasional progress occurs.)

I will append a pix found on the web of our original pump model. The newer one looks a bit different where the actuator moves, but the result is the same. These will not back flood and their more modest GPM is a much more reliable number IMHO.

Per ocean racing regs, we also have a tapered plug fastened to each thru hull point. I have not tested these, but if motivated by terror would probably figured them out... :0

Regards,
Loren

Attachments

• Jabsco 37202-0000.jpg
    Jabsco 37202-0000.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I have a similar set-up as Loren on my 1990 E38. A manual Whale Gusher 10 (10 GPM) pump in the cockpit, an electric Par diaphragm pump for the main bilge (located under the galley sink), and an identical diaphragm pump for the shower bilge (located in the engine compartment). I also have a high water alarm which emits a very loud buzzing if the water in the bilge gets to be more than about 8" deep. By design, the Whale and Par pumps do not backflow, and are capable of moving debris (although I have strainers on the Par pumps).

One night, I tested the Par diaphragm pump at about 291 GPH (or 4.85 GPM). It's my understanding that these pumps were never intended to keep you boat afloat if holed, but merely to pump incidental water overboard.

The offshore regs also requires a second manual pump operable from down below. I'm not sure how to install something like that yet.

Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The offshore regs also requires a second manual pump operable from down below. I'm not sure how to install something like that yet.

AFAIK the standard for many years has been the large Edson manual pump.
http://www.edsonmarine.com/newproducts/pump_kit.php

While it is nominally sold as a portable pump system, I have seen one permanently installed in a high-end cruising boat. It was just under the cabin sole near the companionway. I recognized the visible part where the socket for the long handle was showing and asked the broker about it.
He chuckled and said that owners referred to it as the Oh My God pump. This was on a Santa Cruz 53, at the Oakland boat show about ten years ago. That boat was for sale for about $700K, and looked to be worth every penny of it.

Loren

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, the SER's I am looking at states, "A boat shall have a second permanently installed manual bilge pump of at least 10 GPM capacity, operable from below deck, meeting the same criteria as above." That would apply to Ocean and Coastal+ categories, such as the Oregon Offshore race, Swiftsure, Pacific Cup, and Vic Maui. Not that I'm planning on using my own boat in those races in the near future, but I'd like to think I'd be able to some day!

Mark

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Interesting. From the (empty) bolt-hole pattern on the settee, I infer that my boat once had a whale-type manual pump below. I had assumed it was for the head, before a PO bought the macerator, though I suppose that with some tricky valving it could do double-duty.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Permanent? Yup.

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, the SER's I am looking at states, "A boat shall have a second permanently installed manual bilge pump of at least 10 GPM capacity, operable from below deck, meeting the same criteria as above." That would apply to Ocean and Coastal+ categories, such as the Oregon Offshore race, Swiftsure, Pacific Cup, and Vic Maui. Not that I'm planning on using my own boat in those races in the near future, but I'd like to think I'd be able to some day!

Mark

Here is a SC for sale now with the perm. mounted Edson bilge pump at the foot of the companionway steps inside.
http://www.yachtfindersbrokerage.co...me=Large+Edson+bilge+pump+(shoe+not+included)

Loren

sailorman37

Member II

Mark

If you are interested, I have one of these large Edson pumps that I don't use. The 2" hose is a bit old and cumbersome, but the pump works well. I don't need $1100 or whatever it is now on-line, but a fair price will take it.

Brad

DSC02321.JPGDSC02322.JPGDSC02323.JPG