• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Transmission- Reverse gear shift- Universal 18

rogerfern

Member II
Lately I have noticed that I have to pull all the way down on reverse gear shift handle in order for gear to engage, is there an linkage adjustment? could it be possible cable is stretched? any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Clamp

Check the clamp that holds the engine end of the cable housing. It can loosen up and allow the housing to move which will limit the cable's effect. On my 28 the clamp and a portion of the mounting bracket were missing due to corrosion and the cable was wired in place. I had to remove the bracket clean it up and braze a new piece of metal in place and install a new clamp. It also may be that the cable itself is beginning to destruct. Also check the set screw that hold the shifting lever to the transmission. I believe that it is keyed and probably not the problem but worth a check anyway.

Last edited:

Solarken

Member II
Late 2015 now, similar problem.

Check the clamp that holds the engine end of the cable housing. It can loosen up and allow the housing to move which will limit the cable's effect. On my 28 the clamp and a portion of the mounting bracket were missing due to corrosion and the cable was wired in place. I had to remove the bracket clean it up and braze a new piece of metal in place and install a new clamp. It also may be that the cable itself is beginning to destruct. Also check the set screw that hold the shifting lever to the transmission. I believe that it is keyed and probably not the problem but worth a check anyway.

Hello,

my 32 is experiencing a similar issue. I think the cable housing is still tight. But it's not wanting to go in reverse. :0
Not good in tight quarters.

can anyone tell me how to open the helm end to check all the linkage and lube it?

Looks to to be a Morse cable that does the work.

The the bottom end.

Thank you

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the transmission shifts normally by direct operation of the shift lever, just replace the old Morse/Teleflex cable.

Old cables can't really be lubed anyhow, and the butter-smooth shifting of a new cable is well worth the $50 or so.

Not sure about the 27, but on my boat the access is: compass comes off, some machine screws come out, and the linkage assembly can be pulled up six or eight inches (using slack in the throttle and shift cables).

YS detail.jpg

Last edited:

Solarken

Member II
If the transmission shifts normally by direct operation of the shift lever, just replace the old Morse/Teleflex cable.

Old cables can't really be lubed anyhow, and the butter-smooth shifting of a new cable is well worth the $50 or so.

Not sure about the 27, but on my boat the access is: compass comes off, some machine screws come out, and the linkage assembly can be pulled up six or eight inches (using slack in the throttle and shift cables).

attachment.php

Mine is a 32 1975

finding that hitting reverse kills the engine. But I was told reverse is a clutch system, not a normal gear?!?!?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Lately I have noticed that I have to pull all the way down on reverse gear shift handle in order for gear to engage, is there an linkage adjustment? could it be possible cable is stretched? any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

When I still had my A-4 in our '73 E-32 I had a similar problem (Now have a diesel). If you have the old A-4 manual, there is a section explaining how to adjust the gear and reverse engagement inside the transmission box itself.

I did this (many years ago but have since forgotten exactly what I did). ...I do remember the top cover came off (4 screws) and I was able to fine tune it in spite of standing on my ear to get at it all. It took a little playing, getting greasy, climbing in and out to test it - but - once adjusted, I never had the problem again.

Also, when I took delivery of the boat brand new, pulling it into reverse was very very difficult. Turns out the cable was pinched and kinked from the factory installation. After "kissing' the dock a couple of times, I on my own then traced the cable and found the problem. A new cable and all was well. There were a few other problems with her but once corrected - she's been a dream! I will admit a couple times I got almost frustrated enough to rename the boat "Sum Ting Wong"!!

-good luck with your problem! - kerry

Solarken

Member II
Thank you

When I still had my A-4 in our '73 E-32 I had a similar problem (Now have a diesel). If you have the old A-4 manual, there is a section explaining how to adjust the gear and reverse engagement inside the transmission box itself.

I did this (many years ago but have since forgotten exactly what I did). ...I do remember the top cover came off (4 screws) and I was able to fine tune it in spite of standing on my ear to get at it all. It took a little playing, getting greasy, climbing in and out to test it - but - once adjusted, I never had the problem again.

Also, when I took delivery of the boat brand new, pulling it into reverse was very very difficult. Turns out the cable was pinched and kinked from the factory installation. After "kissing' the dock a couple of times, I on my own then traced the cable and found the problem. A new cable and all was well. There were a few other problems with her but once corrected - she's been a dream! I will admit a couple times I got almost frustrated enough to rename the boat "Sum Ting Wong"!!

-good luck with your problem! - kerry

thank you Kerry, I have not found the book yet. But next week I can stand on my ear and have a look! :0

kapnkd

kapnkd
thank you Kerry, I have not found the book yet. But next week I can stand on my ear and have a look! :0

You're welcome.

Sorry I don't have my old manual anymore that I could send you - BUT - I did go online and found a site with a PDF of the old manual.
You can check the complete manual out at this site:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
Universal Atomic Four Manual - PDF ( http://www.manualslib.com/manual/615712/Westerbeke-Atomic-4.html?page=66#manual )

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> In particular to learn more and solve your specific problems, check out pages 52 through 54 and especially look at page 66.

Fair Winds!
-kerry

Solarken

Member II
You're welcome.

Sorry I don't have my old manual anymore that I could send you - BUT - I did go online and found a site with a PDF of the old manual.
You can check the complete manual out at this site:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
Universal Atomic Four Manual - PDF ( http://www.manualslib.com/manual/615712/Westerbeke-Atomic-4.html?page=66#manual )

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> In particular to learn more and solve your specific problems, check out pages 52 through 54 and especially look at page 66.

Fair Winds!
-kerry

thank you!