• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Off to Southern California

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi folks,

In a few days I'll be departing the SF Bay Area to head south to Southern California. I've been preparing self and boat over the last couple of years, often with help and tips from folks on this forum. The day is fast approaching, and wanted to say thank you to the many people who have offered sage, practical, and cost-saving advice.

My plan is to harbor-hop, making runs between marinas and anchorages along the coast. I also plan to anchor at Santa Cruz Island on the way south and do some scuba diving before heading back to the mainland. I'd love any last-minute tips, cautionary tales, or don't-miss-it points of interest.

Cheers,

Ignacio

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Hi folks,

In a few days I'll be departing the SF Bay Area to head south to Southern California. I've been preparing self and boat over the last couple of years, often with help and tips from folks on this forum. The day is fast approaching, and wanted to say thank you to the many people who have offered sage, practical, and cost-saving advice.

My plan is to harbor-hop, making runs between marinas and anchorages along the coast. I also plan to anchor at Santa Cruz Island on the way south and do some scuba diving before heading back to the mainland. I'd love any last-minute tips, cautionary tales, or don't-miss-it points of interest.

Cheers,

Ignacio
Sounds like great fun. Santa Cruz Island is really nice. Don't miss Painted Cave. Bring a good spotlight or two when you row into it. Also, Cueva Valdez and Pelican are excellent coves to see.

Be sure to report back with your experiences.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There is a guest slip waiting at Cal Yacht Club in MDR, and martini shaken not stirred.

Also, I really don't think you should miss at least one night on a mooring at Two Harbors, Catalina, with no worries about anchors and shore boat service to the single restaurant, which is actually pretty good.

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
We like Forney's Cove at the west end of Santa Cruz Island. I have never scuba dived or snorkeled there but I expect it would be good. We saw fishing boats (few and far between, though) there and the pelicans put on a show, repeatedly diving all around us. It is very desolate and isolated. So no crowds.

When you sail in, though, try to give the potato patch at the extreme west end a wide berth. It is an area of turbulent water where strong currents collide and it can be nasty. Also don't stay there if Santa Ana winds (northeast, dry wind) come up or you will be pushed toward the rocks....lee shore.

Also, an excellent anchorage is Coches Prietos which is on the back (south) side. Good in any weather, just about.

Cruising Guide to the Channel Islands by Professor Brian Fagan is recommended.
:egrin:

Gregoryulrich

Member III
Pick up the So Cal guide from Charlie's Charts

I caught Captain Holly's presentation on cruising the Channel Islands at the L.A. Boat Show this year. This guide has an incredible amount of information on anchorage conditions, weather, dive spots etc.

http://www.charliescharts.com/charlies-charts-southern-california.html

Coches is a great anchorage as is Albert's cove around the corner. Neither have particularly easy dinghy access to the beach as the shore slopes down precipitously creating a fast sucking backwash followed by a shore pound. Willows Anchorage which is further west is magnificent. The anchorage is shallow sandy bottom, mostly kelp free and the entrance is flanked by majestic pinnacle rocks. If you surf, drop your hook just south of Moore Meadows. The takeoff spot is a submerged boulder and the wave breaks both left and right. I've never surfed that spot with less than head high waves.