• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pump Project

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Access to the area underneath the quarter berth on my 28/2 is limited to two, pry out inspection ports. Trying to work through these to accomplish anything is extremely difficult. The pressure pump to the water system was located under one of these ports and just lying loose. The pump needed servicing as it was cycling too often and I wanted to add an accumulator tank. I also wanted any future work on the pump and tank to be as simple as possible. My thought was to mount everything onto a removable base so all you would have to do was undo two electric wires, two Shurflo quick disconnects and four bolts and the whole assembly would come out for servicing on the bench. I'm getting older and trying to be a contortionist working in the quarter berth was a tad bit of a strain.

On my failed 28+ project access to this area was much easier. Large rectangular openings with removable plastic liners and marine plywood lids made working back there less stressful. I decided to create the same type of opening on the 28/2. As I still have the plastic liners from the 28+ my first thought was to utilize one of those. They proved to be too big and would limit what I could do with the available room. So I decided to just enlarge the openings. The following pictures show the process from my removable pump mount, equipped with a terminal block made from a piece of 1/4" thick polycarbonate and stainless steel machine screws. This feature eliminates the (pain in the) butt connectors that were used in the original installation. The original access port and the modification. Cutting out a section of the quarter berth floor. Reinforcing it with supports for the drop in rectangular plate. I was able to utilize the 3/8" thick teak plywood sliding cabinet doors from the 28+ and laminate I had purchased for the abandoned restoration project. I think it worked out well.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have used the largest (10") Beckson clear plate for plumbing access in the front of our cabinet in the head area, and their site shows another rectangular one.
http://www.beckson.com/38hatches.html

We have added a lot of access places and inside vents to our boat in the last 20 years.

Loren