• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

LinxLITE Blues

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
I have a Xantrex LinkLITE monitoring my modest house bank comprised of two 24’s maybe providing, when fully charged, 155 amp hours. It’s enough for what we do but recently the little guy has been giving me fits. It tells me that my batteries are at 8.6 or 9.1 volts when my volt meter tells me they are at 12.5 or better. I have put a load tester on the batteries and gotten “good” on the meter. Hydrometer tells me “good” and the new conductive tester Solar BA-7 tells me “good.”
Once in a rare while the back light comes on and the voltage says 13.2 which is the float value the battery charger should be putting out. That’s very rare. Usually it’s dark and advising me I have a dead battery. Today, when the Linx advised 8 volts or so I went out and cranked the Univ. M-25XP on the house bank (8.volts). Hell, it roared to life
The other part of this saga is the amp portion of the meter seems to be working (showing amps used, amps left and amps being drawn) just fine. Can it get the volts dead wrong and the amps right? Is it not time to get a new monitor? I know VDO’s are popular but I don’t really want to wire up a new device if I don’t have to. Anyone had a similar experience?

Larry Lee
Annabel Lee E 32-200
Savannah, GA

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Measure the voltage on each of the three positive voltage terminals on the connector to the ground terminal - the connector terminals, not the wires. Check that all of the connections are clean & tight.

Better to find a bad connection than a bad meter.

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Problem Solved

Many thanks to Tom Metzger for advising me to check connections before dumping my LinxLITE. I went back and checked every connection again. Cleaned and reconnected. BINGO. the whole system woke up and is cooking again. Thanks Tom

Larry Lee
Annabel Lee E 32-200
Savannah, GA

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Larry - That will be a martini at Houlihan's next February... or should we just go to the boat? :cheers:

The currents you are dealing with are VERY small so it doesn't take much to cause a problem.

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Moo Tarninies

Tom,
You are on. Next time I'm up your way we will have two martinis. After all, the best thing about a martini is the second one. Thanks again Larry