• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Glue Recommendation Requested

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My floorboards were built as part of an insurance claim by the Previous Owner, and came to me unfinished.

I now discover that the caps are not marine ply, and have delaminated despite two coast of CPES and eight coats of varnish (which have perfectly preserved the marine-grade teak and holly ply).

The "caps" are just pieces of wood glued to the underside to provide support over the open areas of the TAG. I'll CPES the new ones, too.

What glue or epoxy would you use?
bilge lids cabin sole.jpg

Last edited:

Pat C.

Member III
I never confirmed this, but the Valiant yard used 3M 5200 along with recessed plugged wood screws to attach their teak/holly (actually poplar for them) slats to the subfloors. Heard it from a Valiant yard woodworker, for what it's worth.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have used West Systems epoxies and fillers for a couple decades. Probably just as a habit, but their properties - strength and pot life - have never let me down yet. I really like their calculated one-stroke mixing pumps, too.

Loren

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Second on the west system

I have used West Systems epoxies and fillers for a couple decades. Probably just as a habit, but their properties - strength and pot life - have never let me down yet. I really like their calculated one-stroke mixing pumps, too.

Loren

I second the west system. They even have a caulk-gun ready, pre-thickened, mixes as it comes out tube of awesomeness. I think it's called Six-10 or something along those lines. I haven't tried it yet, but I just bought one plus a quart of the standard west system to fix this:
IMG_0544.jpg

I can have a full report next week if this works out as planned.:scared:

Dean

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oh, all right, everybody. Geez.

I was hoping to avoid another $100 worth of glop to glue plywood. At House of Hardwood the 4x8 half-inch marine ply was a paltry $50 (I will use no more than 1'x4'), and for convenience there I also replenished my Smith's CPES supply, two tiny cans for another $50. I forget what my last pint of Schooner cost with shipping from Defender, probably about $30.

This is a nonstructural repair no one will ever see.

Well, a bottle of cheap gin is still 10 bucks.

But as a yacht owner, that's not the gin I drink.

Last edited:

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
Glue Recommendation

Use the West System, it is a quality proven product. It is even recommended for a water barrier prior to bottom coat ablatives.
Ccaptain