• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Through hulls

juneausailin

Member II
Mahalo

Thanks for the info footrope and also for checking out the blog. Will try to post some pix of the thru hull adventure..

Cheers,
David

Yep, either will do. When I did the four under the sink I used a scraps of 3/4" fiberglass sheet for backing plates. It would be hard to go wrong with anything 3/8" to 3/4" that is either waterproof or can be epoxy coated to waterproof it. The hull is plenty thick and the backing plates are primarily used to provide a flat spot to seat the seacock. The epoxy with filler is just to fill the gap between the curve of the hull and the backing plate. I used WEST systems with their high density adhesive filler to make a paste.

I used new bronze everything and threaded the fiberglass backing plate to accept bronze 1/4-20 hex bolts for the seacock bases. I did not go through the hull with the bolts, just into the backing plate.

I have been dreading doing the three in the head, but based on my experience with the 4 aft, I will probably just take off the ball valves and screw on seacocks. There was nothing wrong with my through hulls under the sink, even though two showed a little red on the outside. If the threads are messed up from the ball valves I'll find a way to clean them up.

I checked out your blog - very nice. We have the same interior it looks like. Good luck with your project!

frick

Member III
1971 bronze

Here is the deal...
My old bronze through their hulls were not electricly grounded... They are perfect. The smallest are .5 inch, which you can no buy new. The larger are 1.25 inch. I bought a few groko flanges the convert striat thread to tapered thread. I bought groco bronze ball valves to go on the top.

Here the interesting part. The straight thread sungged up with 12 rotations... But it was too tall for the head exhaust. So I tried the bronze ball valve on top of the though the hull. I got ten rotations... I smiled the flange an just put the ball valve on the through the hull.

Some might say no... But it had more turnsthan the original fittings that were survived for 44 years.

Rick