• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1987 M-25 Oil Leak (Not XP)

gulfcoaster

Member III
I noticed a fair amount of oil under the engine when I changed my filters/oil two months ago. The sop I have under the engine is covered with a fairly substantial amount of oil. As I face the engine, most of it is located under the right front quadrant under the engine. I wiped the oil pan and the entire underside with a paper towel and can't find anything. After running the engine for less then 3 hrs, that area is somewhat soaked and is beginning to ooz forward in the bilge. The filters, tip stick, etc are fine. Any help would be appreciated. I checked the dipstick and it shows still full. I assume it doesn't take much oil to make it appear that sop under the engine is soaked. The underside remained clean until I ran the engine which leads me to believe pressure when running may be causing the leak.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I noticed a fair amount of oil under the engine when I changed my filters/oil two months ago. The sop I have under the engine is covered with a fairly substantial amount of oil. As I face the engine, most of it is located under the right front quadrant under the engine. I wiped the oil pan and the entire underside with a paper towel and can't find anything. After running the engine for less then 3 hrs, that area is somewhat soaked and is beginning to ooz forward in the bilge. The filters, tip stick, etc are fine. Any help would be appreciated. I checked the dipstick and it shows still full. I assume it doesn't take much oil to make it appear that sop under the engine is soaked. The underside remained clean until I ran the engine which leads me to believe pressure when running may be causing the leak.

Longshot but have you looked to see if the breather hose is still connectd to the airfilter?

When you changed the oil:
1) How did you drain it....oil pan or suck it our through dipstick?
2) Did you maybe overfill the engine with oil?
3) is there oil present on the shaft (front of engine)? If so, it could be a main seal.
4) Have you checked the seal at the rear of the engine where the tranny mounts? Use a paper towel to see if you get oil.
5) We had to replace our oil pan as they rust and start leaking. Have you replaced yours or is it rusted?
6) When you golf, do you inhale or exhale on your backswing?:nerd:

gulfcoaster

Member III
Longshot but have you looked to see if the breather hose is still connectd to the airfilter?

When you changed the oil:
1) How did you drain it....oil pan or suck it our through dipstick?
2) Did you maybe overfill the engine with oil?
3) is there oil present on the shaft (front of engine)? If so, it could be a main seal.
4) Have you checked the seal at the rear of the engine where the tranny mounts? Use a paper towel to see if you get oil.
5) We had to replace our oil pan as they rust and start leaking. Have you replaced yours or is it rusted?
6) When you golf, do you inhale or exhale on your backswing?:nerd:

Thanks for the tips. It was leaking before I changed the oil. I intend to clean it up, place new sops under the engine, run it at the dock and see if I can locate the problem. Oh yes..I don't play golf!

gulfcoaster

Member III
Oil leak fixed

A 4 inch 1/8 dia brass T-fitting with 2 sensors on it cracked which caused the oil to blow out. Went to Home Depot and obtained a replacement. There is one sensor on each side of the fitting which seems to increase the weight on this component. Anybody have any idea how to replace this type of arrangement? Also, what would it cost to rebuild the existing alternator? I've been told $150 by one shop. Does this sound about right?