• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 - Fresh water fill plumbing advice

adam

Member III
My boat never had a water fill, and I'm tired of lifting up the cushions and bringing a hose into my boat in order to fill up the fresh water.

The issue is really the vent where the water will overflow. Currently the tank vents to the cockpit locker. I guess the ideal option would be to plumb the vent into the sink, vs. plumbing it overboard or into the bilge.

I already have a jabsco electric faucet. Is it possible to somehow share that faucet between the electric pump and the vent/overflow?

Thanks for any ideas!

-Adam

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
My fresh water tank vents into the bathroom sink. Its a separate piece and looks like another faucet but without a handle. (it confused me a bit the first few months until I figured out what it was) I think this is still a good way to do it.

adam

Member III
My fresh water tank vents into the bathroom sink. Its a separate piece and looks like another faucet but without a handle. (it confused me a bit the first few months until I figured out what it was) I think this is still a good way to do it.

The sink in my head drains directly to the toilet, so I definitely don't want to put it there. I also don't want to add a 3rd faucet to the galley sink as it's cluttered enough. :-(

Now I am re-considering just routing the vent over a loop, and then into the bilge.

=> On the downside that could flood the boat if someone leaves it unattended and the bilge pump can't keep up with the hose.

=> But on the plus sides, I would know that the water tank is full from the outside of the boat when the bilge pump turns on, and it would mean that I'm effectively forced to test my bilge pump every time I fill the water tank (possibly saving the boat from sinking).

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
maybe into the cockpit? less chance of salt water intrusion than a transom vent but still won't flood the bilge... might be more complication than you are looking for though.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I put in a bladder tank. No vent needed :egrin: The fill is on the top of the cockpit combing. If it over-fills, it just runs over the side.

adam

Member III
I've figured out the outflow. It now runs into the galley sink.

But the rest of the project has turned into a MUCH bigger pain than I expect. (Imagine that on a boat project).

The issue now is there's a 1.5" access port on the top of the tank which I'd like to run a 3/4" hose into, but it have very little vertical clearance above the tank.

The normal L-fittings at the hardware store are too tall. I've even tried cutting them down a bit.

Any ideas for finding a much lower profile 3/4" L-fitting? Or any ideas on the best way to build some sort of fitting which will work here?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Hard to envision your problem exactly, but I assume you've looked at "street ells" which can have a tighter radius... Grainger and McMaster-Carr have more options than the local hardware store. Sounds like you need a 1.5" to 3/4" reducing street ell. ish.

adam

Member III
Hard to envision your problem exactly, but I assume you've looked at "street ells" which can have a tighter radius... Grainger and McMaster-Carr have more options than the local hardware store. Sounds like you need a 1.5" to 3/4" reducing street ell. ish.

Here's a picture of the fitting which I put together It's made from a 1.5" to 3/4" reducer, then a separate "street L" (I think) and finally a barb fitting.

And, it's a bit too tall....

CAM00588.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
You might be able to find a flush bushing that would get you down another 1/4" or so... or think about welding a new bung onto the end of the tank at the top.

All these problems went away with the bladder tank :egrin: Except that the fill fitting ended up on the bottom, though it seems to work that way.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Filling and Venting

My boat never had a water fill, and I'm tired of lifting up the cushions and bringing a hose into my boat in order to fill up the fresh water.

The issue is really the vent where the water will overflow. Currently the tank vents to the cockpit locker. I guess the ideal option would be to plumb the vent into the sink, vs. plumbing it overboard or into the bilge.

I already have a jabsco electric faucet. Is it possible to somehow share that faucet between the electric pump and the vent/overflow?

Thanks for any ideas!

-Adam

Purely subjective, but we like having the "stock" fill on the top of each tank -- it's an Olson 34 feature.

I have a little plastic ball-valve shut-off on the end of my supply hose. I unscrew the tank top clean out port, pull the already pressurized hose in through the vent hatch, and open the ball valve with the hose sticking into the tank. Works well. And, we never worry about contamination from a faulty deck fitting, either.

Our stock vent fittings were "standard Ericson" - i.e. metal spouts at the galley and head sinks for the two tanks. They were in the way on the countertops sometimes and were both replaced with looped hoses under the counters pointing down at the bilge access. (With no chance of an overflow from an ignored deck filling procedure, they will never spit out any water anyhow.)

No wrong answers, just different solutions. :nerd:

Cheers,
Loren

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Maybe you could even saw the top flange off of that bushing to make it a flush bushing. Maybe.

adam

Member III
Maybe you could even saw the top flange off of that bushing to make it a flush bushing. Maybe.

Tried and failed.

The screw threads in these plastic fittings apparently get slightly narrower as you go deeper into them. It means that when you tighten down you get a good seal without any sealant.

The downside in this case, is that it's impossible to screw down into the bottom of the fittings because it's too narrow down there or to saw off the top to create a flush bushing.

Oh well... I'll see if I can find a flush bushing somewhere.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
The issue now is there's a 1.5" access port on the top of the tank which I'd like to run a 3/4" hose into, but it have very little vertical clearance above the tank.

The normal L-fittings at the hardware store are too tall. I've even tried cutting them down a bit.

Any ideas for finding a much lower profile 3/4" L-fitting? Or any ideas on the best way to build some sort of fitting which will work here?

Adam - Have you considered moving the vent fitting to the side wall of the tank?

adam

Member III
Adam - Have you considered moving the vent fitting to the side wall of the tank?

I wouldn't move it. But adding a fitting might certainly be the most reasonable idea.

Any idea what exactly these original water tanks are made out of and what sealant sticks to it?

:)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Polyethylene. Plastic welding kit, Harbor Freight.

There is no doubt some sort of compression fitting that would last as long as its gasket seals, but I don't know of one off-hand.

tried any mushrooms lately?

Have you tried W**t Mar***'s #396293? You might get just enough clearance if it will screw into your reducer. Or screw a plug into your 1.5" (or enlarge it to an inspection/access port) & put in a new 3/4" hole for the mushroom.