• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tides Marine Strong Track

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
After sailing the last few days in a fresh breeze, I am ready to pull the trigger and install Tides Marine's Strong Track. My buddy put them on the masts of his Morgan ketch and what a difference. I almost got got knocked out dropping his mainsail. It came down like a lead balloon.

Dropping the main almost never goes without some binding so I have to climb up on the cabin top to deal with it.

Never more!

I think Christian put it on Thelonious. Anyone else make this improvement?

Last edited:

Theanswer

Member I
Strong Track

We just purchased a E38 and after we deal with deck hardware/portlight leak issue left long overdue by the previous Owner, Strong Track is next on the agenda. I have done a fair amount of research and heard all positive. I'm curious to see what others actual experience is.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
We installed a Strong Track on our old boat. It made a significant difference, and was fairly simple to install.

However, the main also drops smoothly on the standard Kenyon mast on our 35-3 (not quite as smooth as the strong track, but close enough). So we have no plans for it on this boat.

I suspect the cut of the sail, and perhaps the type of main sail slides can make a big difference. Ours has top two full battens, and bottom two partial. It hasn't ever binded on us until its nearly all the way down. The Harken McLube I spray in there every couple of years probably helps too.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
<snip>
However, the main also drops smoothly on the standard Kenyon mast on our 35-3 (not quite as smooth as the strong track, but close enough). So we have no plans for it on this boat.

I suspect the cut of the sail, and perhaps the type of main sail slides can make a big difference. Ours has top two full battens, and bottom two partial. It hasn't ever binded on us until its nearly all the way down. The Harken McLube I spray in there every couple of years probably helps too.

That is pretty much how I would describe ours, too. Same main sail batten design. Probably the same spar section. I also spray McLube on all the slugs every spring.

Loren

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Gettin down the main!

Rick: I created what I call a "GEEZERIZER"...

I created a series of guides using 1/2" PVC pipe 1 1/2" and drilled 1/8 holes threw them to attach to my sail slides with cable ties......I attached one to every other sail slide and used a 1/4" line tied around the top sail slide and run through these guides, through a block at tne base of the mast led back to a small rope clutch which I mounted to, and under the traveler........bring the boat head to wind....let go the halyard and reel in the "GEEZERIZER".....

Cheap, easy, and for the last 9 years foolproof......

If anyone is interested I will take pictures after I return to Chicago and bend on the main which should be soon after the 20th of May.

Everyone who has sailed on the boat says I should patent it......but at this stage of the game I just get a kick out of it working......

As most of my posts end.....FWIW

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My 1985 Kenyon mast has an external aluminum track. It got somewhat pitted and the anodizing roughened. Here's what it looked like. The photo is much boosted and sharpened:

sail track original, boosted .jpg
The new UK Tape Drive cruising main I put on it came with full length battens top two only, and plastic slugs. It went up all right but, as Rick reports, did not come down easily and sometimes hung up at a joint in the track just below the spreaders.

The Tides product, which I think is now called a Sailtrack, was installed by a rigger but is an easy job. In my case, the proprietary Tides slugs, of stainless steel, were a straight replacement for the old plastic ones (I have sewn loops on the luff).

Thelonious Tides track.jpg
Having to tug a sail down is a distraction and adds unnecessary steps. The Tides system permits the sail to drop without hesitation.

It doesn't help much hoisting, however.

As probably common to anyone with a reluctant hoist or drop, I cleaned the track well and was frequent with McLube SailKote and other lubricants. No effect on the behavior of plastic slugs in an old track.

I replaced all the halyards before installing the Tides, and new halyards had no improving effect whatever on the old system.

I conclude that Tides Sailtrack is a good improvement, especially for lowering the sail. The track and slugs are handsome, and make for a better looking mast.

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Strong track installed

I'm looking forward to trying my new Strong Track with my new mainsail. Maybe in April. It's good to hear it's working well for others. Our old plastic slugs were not really a problem because we could always hoist to the top by hand. Dropping was OK, too. But upgrades are contagious and the sailmaker recommended it.

Removing the old track was a pain. We had to cut an exit slot above the gooseneck fitting to get it out. The aluminum track was apparently slipped in before the welding. At the very top it had been repaired a couple of times because it was pulling the fastener out, so it was a good excuse to replace it.

There are some other Strong Track endorsements in another thread around here somewhere.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Craig,

How do you attach the Tides track if you remove the existing track? I thought it requires an 'old' track....

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Tides has track attachment profiles that will fit into an existing rectangular track slot. If you were adding the Strong Track and the mast was in the boat, for instance, then sliding the Strong Track into the existing track is the way to go. It is a nice idea from that standpoint. No fasteners required except at the bottom to stake it in place.

My Kenyon mast has a circular slot in the extrusion (see pic) and they have a profile that fits that also. Since my mast was being completely overhauled and painted (there's a thread for some of that), and the track was coming loose at the top, I decided to yank it, even though it was otherwise in good shape. It reduces weight, too.

I got a surprise when I started looking at how to get the old track out. There was no slot cut into the mast to get the track sections out or to slide the new track in. So, I got the yard to use a grinder with a cutting wheel and they made the basic cut, which I then cleaned up. Then a yard worker and I pushed the sections out. To clear the gooseneck he had to bend the track every 6-8 inches. The two 20' sections were bent into a circle by the time we got them out and it took two of us to manage that so it didn't scrape the mast or hit the boat next to me.

Mast_extrusion_shape01.jpg

gadangit

Member III
We have the strong track on our boat with a full batten main. As everyone says, the sail comes down in a rush.

I think it helps with the hoist as well, everyone who comes on our boat and helps with the hoist is impressed that they can get the main all the way up, hoisting from the mast, with no bouncing. "Even" Lisa can do it.

Chris

Guy Stevens

Helps both directions

I have a 46 and my wife raises, lowers and reefs the main by her self...

She could not get the main up without the strong track.

I have installed a lot of them. They work great.

Guy
:)

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Strongtrack installed today. Haven't sailed yet but will when I return from a delivery to the Bahamas in a couple weeks.

Excuse the giant thumb that flew by....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 359

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Kissing Kin

Rick,
Since we have the same boat I will be very interested in your assessment of the new track system. Do you have a full batten main?

Larry Lee

Annabel Lee
E 32-200
Savannah, GA

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Cuz'n Larry!

Rick,
Since we have the same boat I will be very interested in your assessment of the new track system. Do you have a full batten main?

Larry Lee

Annabel Lee
E 32-200
Savannah, GA

Hi Larry!

Glad to hear you're still at it!

The Tides Track has been an awesome improvement for sure. I do have a full batten main and I can raise the sail much faster. The great thing is how fast it drops.....like a piano!

I can reef the and can drop the sail fully loaded. I never thought I would look forward to seeing the halyard feed out so fast.

Highly recommended. You will need to take a side grinder or Dremell and open up the track gate slightly to insert the track if you DIY.

Let me know if I can be of any further help. You have my phone number....

Cuz'n Rick

Last edited: