• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yanmar Diesel / Recommended Spares?

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi,

I have a Yanmar 3HM35F. I'm trying to put together a list and gather all the reasonable spares I may need. I'm not talking about an extra engine block, spare piston, or back-up wiring harness, or anything like that. Just items that have a reasonable possibility of failure that would be prudent to keep a spare handy. Stuff for coastal cruising, not necessarily extended ocean passages to the Red Sea or anything.

So far, I have the following:

1. Sea water pump impellers and housing gaskets.
2. Thermostsat and housing gaskets.
3. Heat exchanger gaskets.
4. Alternator belts.
5. Sea water pump belts.
6. Primary Racor fuel filters.
7. Secondary fuel filters.
8. Oil filters.

Any other suggestions? Personal stories of engine failures or near-misses on the high-seas?

Thanks,
Mark

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
glow plugs, coolant, oil, fuel stabilizer, fuel fill o-rings, heat ex-changer zinks, any fuses related to engine systems.

Last edited:

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I once had to spend the night anchored in conditions that had green water coming over the bow because the fuel filter filled up with water and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I replaced the fuel vent with a canister to prevent water ingress and also replaced the fuel filler cap. No water in the diesel since.

Last edited:

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I once had to spend the night anchored in conditions that had green water coming over the bow because the fuel filter filled up with water and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I replaced the fuel vent with a canister to prevent water ingress and also replaced the fuel filler cap. No water in the diesel since.

Yikes! That's EXACTLY what I don't want to happen to me. My 1990 Yanmar does not have glow plugs. Just need to give it a little throttle when it's cold and she fires right up. Got oil and coolant.

What type of diesel vent canister did you use? That reminds me, I should check the fill cap o-ring.

Mark

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Google: [h=1]Attwood 90-Degree P-Trap Fuel Tank Vent[/h]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since bad weather and heavy seas agitate the fuel tank and dislodge particles, I now carry five spare Racor 30-micron primary filters.

The thinking is that if the filter clogs during a rough passage it may clog again before the rough passage is over, and a number of changes may be required.

I went through three primaries last summer, even though my fuel tank was pretty clean to start with.

jimk

Member II
Wow you have the first Ericson I have come across with the same engine as mine. I too an “87” 38-200, your list looks complete, pretty much exactly what I took.<O:p></O:p>
We did a trip up north from Portland a few years ago I had an old primary racor filter with a possible crack I couldn’t find but would occasionally let air into the system. this happen once on our delivery up the west coast and early on while cruising the gulf islands. I bypassed it knowing i had a clean tank and several secondary filters ran off the original secondary Yanmar filter for the remainder of our trip, never had a problem. I returned to Portland with all the spare parts i left with, these are great engines.<O:p></O:p>
Jim<O:p></O:p>

Glyn Judson

Smart spares.

All, These last two: hose clamps and water hose are a great suggestion. Years ago I was helping deliver an E31 down the SoCal coast when a factory-formed Yanmar engine hose split from old age. The new owner just about had apoplexy when he saw the cabin sole awash in an inch or so of sea water (anyone would). I stole the raw water supply hose from the head to make an emergency repair and all was good with the world. I keep clamps and a few hoses aboard our boat now for just such potential heart stopping events. Cheers, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Wow you have the first Ericson I have come across with the same engine as mine. I too an “87” 38-200, your list looks complete, pretty much exactly what I took.<o:p></o>
We did a trip up north from Portland a few years ago I had an old primary racor filter with a possible crack I couldn’t find but would occasionally let air into the system. this happen once on our delivery up the west coast and early on while cruising the gulf islands. I bypassed it knowing i had a clean tank and several secondary filters ran off the original secondary Yanmar filter for the remainder of our trip, never had a problem. I returned to Portland with all the spare parts i left with, these are great engines.<o:p></o>
Jim<o:p></o>

Hi, just curious what prop you have with your yanmar?

mark

jimk

Member II
Sorry it taken sooo long to reply but its a max-prop feathering 3 blade works great. PYI in lynnwood WA rebuilt it 3 years ago and did a good setting the pitch.
jim