• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bottom Help

Fparry

Member II
I am starting to think about doing a complete re-paint on the bottom of my 1988 Ericson 32-200. This boat is used exclusively on Lake Ontario and currently is painted with numerous layers of black ablative paint.

Near the rudder there is the slightest evidence of osmosis blistering. These blisters are very small. Almost all being less than 1/32" in diameter.

My preference would be to completely strip the bottom repair the blisters apply an appropriate barrier coat and then paint the bottom with VC-17.

I am curious as to the proper procedure and materials needed to accomplish this task. I am considering soda blasting for removal. Any thoughts or tips concerning this project would be appreciated.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Fred, we've had the bottom painted twice since owning the boat. There were a couple very small blisters and one quarter sized blister. The larger one was opened during prep with the belt sander. The yard that does my bottom (and has done thousands) told me not to worry about the blisters. The open one was faired (with epoxy I think) and painted over.

When the boat was hauled last year, no problems.

i have read other threads here about blistering issues. One captain had his boat peeled at great expense. I think it was another Great Lakes sailor Steve Christensen (sic).

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?7457-Blisters&highlight=Blisters

Rick

Last edited:

MMLOGAN

Member III
Bigger than a quarter

Fred,

My surveyor (whom I trust) has always said to leave anything smaller than a quarter alone. This advice has served us well for 14 years.

Best of luck with the job regardless of which way you go.

e38 owner

Member III
paint thoughts

My boat has had a few blisters and I am in the process of redoing the bottom. Going to put on another two coats of barrier coat although I have a feeling it just doesn't matter. The boat is stored in Fresh Water.

Some years I leave the boat in for the winter. In those cases I get a few blisters even though I have a barrier coat.

If the boat is pulled for the winter or not vc 17 needs to be recoated yearly.

Interlux says to sand the barrier coat prior to putting on vc 17 so that it will stick. needs extra barrier coat
vc 17 is popular in our marina and works well I have used it.

I have also used vivid. Can be burnished works well, does not have to be done every year. I do not think is quite as slippery. Goes on almost as smooth if tipped and thinned a little. Three coats will last over 5 years. Must put on thin Very good results spraying. Tend to get a little algae growth with Vivid in year two. If cleaned once in the spring not a problem

Most people who use vc 17 in our marina pull boat after every summer, really don't worry about barrier coat because the boat is not in the water that long. recoat yearly

Would never uses a hard paint in fresh water. Looses its power if pulled for the winter. I used micron for a while to soft makes a mess. a little better with algae. I Like vivid better. Harder and a little faster.

Over all if racing and every knot of speed vc17 or SR21 is the best. Pull boat every year and recoat
If don't want to deal with it very often, Race but feel an extra ___ of knot doesn't matter use Vivid

For Vivid over most paints heavy sand and paint
For Vc 17 Strip to barrier coat. Barrier Coat, sand, PAint

cpcini

bottom job

Fred, Back in feb. I posted pics of work done to my '84 35MKIII. I had the bottom peeled because of blistering all over. I have owned the boat for 3 yrs and know it came from fl,sc which is always warm water. My surveyor when purchased said minor blistering at the waterline and not to be concerned. Had the bottom soda blasted which showed the real picture. Blisters galore. Try search titled "E35III New paint/ new bottom"
Currently the boat is almost ready for launch, just have to install the new rubrail. Carl
IMG_5264.jpgIMG_4911.jpg

Lynda Radke

Fixing blistering

I am starting to think about doing a complete re-paint on the bottom of my 1988 Ericson 32-200. This boat is used exclusively on Lake Ontario and currently is painted with numerous layers of black ablative paint.

Near the rudder there is the slightest evidence of osmosis blistering. These blisters are very small. Almost all being less than 1/32" in diameter.

My preference would be to completely strip the bottom repair the blisters apply an appropriate barrier coat and then paint the bottom with VC-17.

I am curious as to the proper procedure and materials needed to accomplish this task. I am considering soda blasting for removal. Any thoughts or tips concerning this project would be appreciated.

We did what you suggested a few years back. We had blistering all over. My husband stripped the bottom, sanded out the blisters and built the bottom back up with epoxy. It was a long process and he ended up doing much of the work himself, but it was a permanent fix. Here are some before and after shots.blister1.jpgsanded smooth.jpgsmooth.jpg