• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 on tidal grid

Haiku

Member II
I was hoping to get some input about an idea. I need to remove my prop to have it re-pitched and want to use the tidal grid at my marina. I'm actually hauling the boat next week but don't have enough time to have the prop re-pitched before she needs to go back in the water.
The beams of the tidal grid at my marina are spaced too far apart for my keel; however, I thought I could screw on a couple of 2x12's to bridge the gap for the keel to sit on. Does this seem feasible? Too much compression on the hull?

I installed the prop and shaft new a couple of years ago so hopefully there won't be any surprises. I will also be able to inspect it when it's out of the water next week for bottom painting, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Warning back of keel is hollow, not load bearing

My 29 stands on her keel on the trailer when I need to lower the bunks on one side for whatever reason with no problem. I would remove the prop while the boat is out and that way you can clean threads, mating surfaces and the like to make the removal in the grid go smoothly.

You should have a bow cradle to support the bow as that is the way the boat will want to rock on the keel. I would use 4x6 timbers to be sure that the weight is supported, You are looking at 7000lb point load on the timbers.

WARNING the aft foot or so of the keel is hollow and should not bear any of the weight.

Haiku

Member II
Thanks Randy, great advice.
I think I will re-install the prop while in the water. I can easily reach the shaft just using snorkelling gear.

TakeFive

Member II
Thanks Randy, great advice.
I think I will re-install the prop while in the water. I can easily reach the shaft just using snorkelling gear.

Can you find the wrenches you drop while snorkeling? (Tie a string around everything you use)