• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 boarding ladder

RedHerring

Member II
A Monitor windvane installed on my E35-2 is taking the place where the transom ladder used to be. I need to have some other form of reboarding device. Obviously this is not the first E35 with a windvane, so can anybody kindly steer me towards a good (as in, actually usable) solution to this problem?

RedHerring

Member II
To clarify, my vane is already mounted smack in the middle of the transom (where it should be), and the notion that the reboarding ladder should be on the side for a boat that doesn't have an open transom makes quite a lot of sense, anyway.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A couple of years ago I considered the Amidship Ladder. I decided to stick with the Ericson pushpit ladder, but I'm pretty sure this would make for easier dinghy access when anchored.
amidship ladder.JPG

Last edited:

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Christian beat me to the punch. I have the track-mounted amidships ladder, also on an E35-II. Works great with dinghy and swimming alike. It's easy to remove and reposition, and very secure. Aside from remembering to replace the rubber boots that rest against the hull periodically, I've had no issue with it. I also managed to rig a line to deploy it from the water.

Capture.jpg

RedHerring

Member II
Thanks a lot to everyone who replied.

A friend, who builds biminis and boat covers for living, looked at the schematic and estimated that my original transom ladder can be used to build something like this for about $2-300. If we decide to go ahead with this exercise, I'll post the results here.

--Alex

Glyn Judson

Ladder in the boarding gate.

All, I too have a ladder amidship, it's a three section articulating model that attaches to the Genoa track. I secure it with 2" wide Velcro at the top to the lifeline and have incorporated a trip line into it that allows one to deploy it when treading water. I bought ours as directly as I could from the maker, Mystic Stainless www.mysticstainless.com. When driving from Cambridge MA to Keyport New Jersey, I stopped in there at noon that day and and walked out the door with it all boxed up. The next day we checked it on a flight home from Newark to LAX and installed it in five minutes a few days later. It was all great fun. Glyn Judson, E31hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Poor Man's Boarding Ladder E27

I made my own out of an old CrisCraft ladder and some minor hardware:

I just had to trim about an inch from the inside top piece and buy a couple used track fittings. The whole setup cost me about $50 bucks. Not pretty, but effective.
The E27 already had/has a SS stern ladder, but my wife and some of her friends are not as agile as me. This is for her to board from the dock and from the dinghy.
It is easily removed and attached, and folds down in case of swimming or MOB.

NOT Patent Pending,
tom

E27WoodLadder1.JPGE27WoodLadder2.JPGE27WoodLadder3.JPGE27WoodLadder4.JPG

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I made my own out of an old CrisCraft ladder and some minor hardware:

I just had to trim about an inch from the inside top piece and buy a couple used track fittings. The whole setup cost me about $50 bucks. Not pretty, but effective.
The E27 already had/has a SS stern ladder, but my wife and some of her friends are not as agile as me. This is for her to board from the dock and from the dinghy.
It is easily removed and attached, and folds down in case of swimming or MOB.

NOT Patent Pending,
tom

View attachment 16094View attachment 16095View attachment 16096View attachment 16097

Classy!! I like it. Where's my tux and martini?

Mark

Hanktoo

Member III
ladder

thanks for the pics and the sources. I recall seeing a very nice one at the Annapolis boat show, but I recall it being very pricey. I'll see if I can find that source too

Glyn Judson

Lader source at the Annapolis boat show.

My money would be on the maker of the ladder at the boat show as being Mystic Stainless. Glyn

steven

Sustaining Member
Happy with my Mystic SS track mounted. Opted for the teak treads.
I use a couple of small fenders tied horizontally to the ladder to protect the hull. Works better I think than the swiveling standoffs with the rubber boots. Only gripe is that it is (very) tempting to grab onto something at the top of the ladder - which happens to be a stanchion not a stern rail - stanchions are not made or anchored for this.

Glyn Judson

Supporting your Mystic ladder on the hull.

Steven, Your idea is novel, simple and effective I'm sure. Certainly there is never a shortage of fenders on any of our boats, congrats on dreaming that one up. Not being as creative a thinker as you, such as using available materials at hand, I had 1" stainless extensions welded to my ladder standoffs, the aft one as long as possible, yet which would still let it close in the stowed position including a rubber cane tip. Given that there is significant tumblehome in the area of my starboard boarding gate, and as such, the standoffs cannot work at an equal length, I shortened the forward one using a pipe cutter so as to have the two of them contact the hull simultaneously so to speak. My problem was that the original length didn't allow for enough room forward of the teak tread, with the ball of my foot on it in order that the toe of my shoe not hit the hull, forcing me to place the load of my body on the tread at my toes, an uncomfortable if not unsafe way of using the ladder. Now with the ladder at least another 4" or more farther away from the hull, everyone can board a lot more safely and the standoffs still tuck away properly. Cheers, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA