• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Battery location

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I want to add a second two battery bank to GittinAir my second E29 that will be used on the coast. I have looked at ABYC regs and know less than I did when I started reading.

It appears if I place the batteries in a box that is water tight I can place them within two feet of my fuel tank, Is this acceptable and any advice would be appreciated. Does a battery box meet requirements of a bulkhead?
My girlfriend's bass boat has a fuel tank and three batteries within inches of each other with no divider and it is an enclosed compartment. Don't want to repeat their mistake if it is wrong.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
My girlfriend's bass boat has a fuel tank and three batteries within inches of each other with no divider and it is an enclosed compartment. Don't want to repeat their mistake if it is wrong.

You know what they say Randy. If it works on Lake Eufala, it works anywhere....lol!

FWIW, I know of several folks here that have added an additional battery in the cockpit lazerette. You should be ok with a battery box but with a gasoline engine, vent, vent, vent!

See you two soon down here.:0

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
When I got my E29, there was no battery box... just two batteries rolling around loose behind the engine with the fuel filter installed next to them :0:0:0:0

I've got a serious port list, due to too much stuff in the sail locker already.

For a second battery bank, I'm looking at the space under the v-berth, on the centerline, but aft of the collision bulkhead. It sort of joins the port and starboard v-berth lockers. Some drawings in the manual suggest that a holding tank was supposed to be in there? Anyway, it's just empty in my boat.

That would also be convenient for a short cable run to the windlass, which I will install one of these days.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Toddster,

Is your holding tank under the starboard settee? on my boat the tank blocks the access through the door and almost kills all storage on the starboard side. There is no overboard dump in my boat only deck plate.

I am installing a 1K inverter that requires a max cable run of 5' and that means all battery banks must be near each other.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Toddster,

Is your holding tank under the starboard settee? on my boat the tank blocks the access through the door and almost kills all storage on the starboard side. There is no overboard dump in my boat only deck plate.

I am installing a 1K inverter that requires a max cable run of 5' and that means all battery banks must be near each other.

No, it's under the starboard V-berth locker. The PO had some rectangular tank stuffed into there, and had sawed a big hole in the V-berth to get it in there, and the corner of it still stuck out a couple of inches. I replaced it with a bladder tank.

From old holes in the fiberglass, it looks like there was once a whale-pump installed under the starboard settee, probably for the pump-out. (The PO had put in a macerator, which I rebuilt and also moved forward to under the V-berth.) There is a 1 1/4" through-hull in there for discharge, just aft of the 1/2" intake for the head. The Y-valve behind the head selects for holding tank or through-hull.

Since the pump-out station at my current marina is closed from Oct - May, I'm contemplating figuring out some way for the macerator to pump waste up to a honey-bucket that I can haul home...