• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Improving down wind performance

SeaRogue

Member II
Moonshine performs pretty well on most points of sail. The most speed I have ever gotten from her was 7.5 knots in about 20 kts of breeze.

Down wind is a different story. She is a dog down wind. I am trying to improve that. The current genoa may the the one that came with the boat in 1985. It seems to be a medium weight or heavier 135% UK sail. It would probably be fine for cruising but I would like to have a sail that will perform better racing.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to make a 32-3 go faster down wind? I think a new genoa is in my immediate future.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't have a spinnaker either, but that's what works downwind (and changes your rating). I think the lift-the-bow effect of a spinnaker would really help the 32-3.

Otherwise, bigger sails of any kind, A-sym, poled out genny.

Our design doesn't surf easily or well, so there's a limit.

(Further: the age or cut of a genoa set dead downwind doesn't matter--only the size. Size being equal, an old genoa on that course will work as well as a brand new one. Downwind, a sail is just making drag, there is no aerodynamic lift. But spinnakers deliver an upward, lifting force in addition to projecting much more sail area in exchange for the additional gear and attention they require.)

Last edited:

SeaRogue

Member II
downwind sailing

I actually have an asymmetrical spinnaker that is the same vintage as my 1985 32-3. It is made by UK and called the "Flasher". It really helps in light air but to my surprise it is more of an upwind sail, unlike a symmetrical spinnaker.

I am encouraged to hear from Rick that his boat goes well downwind. I hope for the same once I get a new genoa.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I also have a flasher from 1985 that came with my 26-3
It works wonderfully on the wind to about a close reach and down wind just a bit further than my jib likes to hold air. It moves the boat nicely in light air that can otherwise drive a guy mad sailing with a floppy jib blanketed by the main and neither pulling enough to get anywhere. I typically use it all by its self instead of in conjunction with the main. Its just simpler for me that way.