• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Atomic 4 Questions/Advice

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Never give up!

Congratulations on your new Ericson! There’s a reason for the joke that a boat is hole in the water to throw your money into. But as nearly everyone on here can attest to, it’s well worth it! Just keep working the fuel problem with a mechanic or on your own as necessary. I, myself, use a combination of trying stuff myself and seeking professional help. It sounds like the engine is fine and you’re done 60-75% of the tune up required to keep it going. A good mechanic will have you up and going in a few more hours. Moyer is a great source and as one of the more popular types of marine engines, keep looking for a knowledgeable mechanic. They’re out there, but not real easy to find.

Your experience overcoming this problem can only help you with the next next dozen problems that come up in sailing life.

-Dean

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Hey Kevin, welcome to the club.

You've already gotten a lot of very good advice from this group around here, and I agree it sounds like a lack of fuel. Here's my $0.02

1. You really want to learn to fix this yourself. When you are out on the water, if something goes wrong you won't be able to call the mechanic. The A4 is about as dirt simple an engine to work on as they make so it's a great place to start learning. Get a good book on small engine repair and maybe find someone to help you (but not the 2 mechanics you've already tried). It's a skill mastered by many a high school dropout so if you are smart enough to buy an Ericson, you're smart enough to figure it out. It's all part of owning a boat. And it is a skill that will save you many, many boat bucks over the year - to be spent on other boat projects.

2. A gas engine needs air, spark, fuel, timing, and compression. Since it runs on the starting fluid you sprayed in, you know you have air, spark, timing, and compression. What you lack is fuel. That can be confirmed if you turn it over several times and pull a spark plug. If it doesn't smell like unburned gas and is dry, you aren't getting any fuel. If it does smell like gas and is wet you have bad gas. Drain the tank and flush they system out with fresh gas (carefully and with good ventilation). That will probably fix the problem. If not....

3. Start with the basics first - follow the fuel. Trace the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor. Are there any kinks? A shut off valve you didn't know about (there should be one, if not you need to install one). Is there a fuel filter in line? Does it need changing? Open the carburetor and see if there is gas in the float bowl and if the floats are moving freely.

If you've got gas in the carburetor and no gas to the engine, you need to either clean / rebuild the carburetor or replace it. Been years since I bought one (went diesel many, many moon ago) but they were getting pretty darn cheap so might easier to replace than rebuild. But check YouTube on how to clean one. It's not that hard either.

Nothing here requires special tools or skills. Be sure to let us all know how it comes out!

Good Luck!

Kevin Wright
E37 Hydro Therapy

Jenkins

Member II
fuel pressure gauge

Kevin,

A fuel pressure gauge is an invaluable diagnostic tool. I installed one between the fuel pump and the carburetor on my A4. Get a marine rated gauge if you plan on leaving it installed. Very cheap and easy to install. It has saved me on several occasions.

If you have no pressure, look upstream.
- fuel pump
- oil pressure safety switch if pump is electric
- fuel filter
- pick-up tube in tank
- tank vent (unlikely what is causing your problem)

If you have pressure look downstream and check that the fuel pump is delivering clean fuel. The starting crack bypasses the carb which may be the issue if it is full of dirty fuel.

Another good diagnostic for fuel issues is to try running the engine from a fresh supply of fuel in a jerry can. This is a TEMPORARY test configuration. Disconnect the hose from the inlet side of the fuel pump. Run a hose from the jerry can to the inlet of the fuel pump. This bypasses all the upstream elements of the fuel system and ensures good clean fresh gas is delivered to the fuel pump.

All of this will require you to disconnect hoses that have fuel in them. Make sure you have a fuel shut-off valve at the tank the you can close to limit the amount of fuel that can come out and be prepared with lots of rags to catch spills. Get those rags out of the boat ASAP and ensure good ventilation, no smoking, etc.

Plastic beer glasses are not suitable for collecting fuel in - it was amazing how quickly it dissolved! Test any plastic containers you my try to catch fuel in or safest bet is to use glass.

Moyer Marine sells an excellent A4 repair/maintenance manual and the Moyer forum is unsurpassed with experts completely willing and able to provide you with first class advice, encouragement, etc.

Good luck,

Peter

Cajunspike

Member II
I agree with everybody who said this is a fuel issue.

I too took an unknown non running atomic 4 and returned it to working order.

First my points were badly adjusted. They were WAY too far open. This prevented a bright blue strong spark.
Then my fuel tank had a hole in it.
Then the carburetor was dirty.
Had no working fuel pump.

For your issue, you're already ahead.

You proved it has spark, by getting it running on starter fluid.
Same for compression.

Start at the fuel tank. Does it even have gas in it? If at all possible, get a small 12v fuel pump and use it to drain the old gas into a separate tank.
Put a few gallons of fresh gas back in the tank. Pay attention if the gas STAYS in the tank. In my case I put 3 gallons in the tank only for it to end up in the bilge
due to rusted thru fuel tank. As others said, if you can find/buy/borrow a small outboard tank to test/work with, you don't have to worry about the main tank...yet.

There will be a fuel line going from the tank to the fuel pump intake.
The fuel pump will have a line going from the pump to the side of the carburetor.

Disconnect the line from the pump to the carb. Point the line into a container that gas won't dissolve. Crank a little and see if gas comes out that line.

gas flows out = move on to carburetor removal and cleaning.
no gas = fuel pump not working/line from tank to pump clogged/letting air into the system/not enough gas in tank.

Also as others have said, the A4 pretty much requires the choke to be pulled out/turned on for cold startup.
After a minute or so, can turn it off.

Don't ask others to fix this. Get your tools out and get dirty. If you're on on the water and something goes, the mechanic will not be there to diagnose and fix the problem. You will be.

Keep your directions clear. Make only small changes, one step at a time. It will work out.

DeFranco84

Member I
Thank you SO MUCH everyone. all your advice has been amazing. I met a really great retired marine mechanic who wants to do the repair with me and show me and teach me as he does it which is ideal for me at this point. I just ordered a new Zenith Carb and Tune up kit from Moyer. We are gonna start with draining the fuel doin some tests and popping in the new carb , plugs rotor and cap. The new electric fuel pump is in so im hoping this will solve all the fuel issues! Will keep you posted!!!!

DeFranco84

Member I
I cannot Thank you all enough!! I am so happy to report that she is up and running!!! The mechanic and i had to remount and install the fuel pump that thge fist incompetent mechanic botched. We installed the pump onto the block did all the proper wiring and then installed the new carb and we were up and purring!! We re gonna do a tune up with new spark plugs, distributor cap and oil change this weekend! Thanks again everyone!!!!

steven

Sustaining Member
Worth considering:
If you have the original fuel tank and fuel system, consider replacing it end to end even if the fuel system and engine appear to be tolerating it.
Years of fuel residues are in the the old system and sporadically and unpredictably dissolve into the fuel and get into the fuel line, fuel pump, and engine.

Welcome and hope you enjoy your boat. I've had my present E35-2 Indigo for 16 years. Love it.

--Steve

Worth considering:
If you have the original fuel tank and fuel system, consider replacing it end to end even if the fuel system and engine appear to be tolerating it.
Years of fuel residues are in the the old system and sporadically and unpredictably dissolve into the fuel and get into the fuel line, fuel pump, and engine.

Welcome and hope you enjoy your boat. I've had my present E35-2 Indigo for 16 years. Love it.

--Steve
I just pulled my tank on the 4th of July after discovering a leak. I didn't want to add to the "fireworks!" End to end replacement is underway.