• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Want to buy: Barlow 23 two-speed winch (non ST)

clhwhite5

If someone has an old broken one with the drum still intact, that would be even better! I'm willing to buy the whole thing, however, if I can find one.

Thanks,
Chad

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Check e-bay? I have a Barient 22, non-ST, if you're interested. Aluminum drum.

clhwhite5

Check e-bay? I have a Barient 22, non-ST, if you're interested. Aluminum drum.

I checked eBay...That's a size bigger than the one that broke but could possibly work. If you want to send me a private message with your price, that would be good!

ALL - I'm new to this and, on another website, someone posted the following comparison table:
Lewmar #14CST -- Barlow #19 - Barient #17 and #10ST
Lewmar #16CST -- Barlow #19 - Barient #17
Lewmar #30CST -- Barlow #23 - Barient #21
Lewmar #40CST -- Barlow #24 - Barient #22
Lewmar #46CST -- Barlow #25 and #27ST - Barient #24 and #27ST

Does anyone know if the Barlow/Barient versions have the same baseplate configuration? In other words, if I'm replacing a Barlow #23 with a Barient #21, will the Barient fit in the same spot with the same holes as the Barlow? I guess the same question applies for the Lewmar....basically just trying to figure out if there is any way to do a quick swap of the broken winch with any other option than finding an exact match to the broken Barlow #23.

Thanks,
Chad

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Barient 21s

I have two Barient 21s available that I salvaged from my E-28+ project. Let me know if you're interested.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Chad,
I will PM you late today with a price for the Barient 22.

I do not know if the Barient and the Barlow bases are identical as far as mounting holes. The Barient 27, 21 and 22 are 5 screw bases and there is a larger gap at the point where the drive gear sticks out and engages the drum. I could take a picture of the 22 and provide some measurements in my PM (and will post the measurements here). Someone on the board may know already if the bases are compatible.

Craig

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Good pictures

The overall base diameter if the Barient 21 or Barient 22 is 5 and 3/16 inches.

The holes are on a diameter of 4 and 7/16 inches, as near as I can measure.

markvone

Sustaining Member
The way the old stories tell it, the Barlow was an Australian total copy of the Barient during the days of the America's Cup when you had to build EVERYTHING in your country. I have the Barient info at home but you can check the info out here: http://l-36.com/winches.php

The Barient catalog has the actual mounting diagrams (bolt spacing, etc.) not sure if the Barlow info has this.

I bought 4 Barient 23 STs on eBay over the course of a year. The small to mid-size non-ST winches are very common due to the number used (in the old days) and people upgrading to ST. I'll bet any marine consignment shop will have plenty. I've seen shelves of them at Bacon's in Annapolis.

Let me know if you still need one and I can check for something specific next time I'm in there. I go past Bacon's on the way to the boat a couple times a week.

Mark