• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

changing the oil

SeaRogue

Member II
I changed the oil and filter in Moonshine today. Like most of you my M25 engine has the hose connected to the drain valve so you don't have to suck it out through the dipstick hole. I took the cap off the hose and inserted a tube attached to my jabsco jr hand pump. It was very hard to pump and took 30 minutes to an hour of difficult work to remove almost a gallon jug full of black and nasty oil.

I added 3 quarts of fresh oil and checked with the dipstick. The oil on the stick was over the full mark and as nasty as the oil I had removed. The book says the engine holds 4 quarts of oil. This is not adding up since I removed almost that much and only replaced 3 quarts.

I noticed that the oil drain hose has a green plastic cap that screws into the end of the hose and has a fitting to attach something the size of a garden hose to it. There must be a better way to remove the oil. How do the rest of you guys do it?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Gotta run the engine first so the oil warms up. I pump it out through the dipstick hole, which is how I get it all over my pants.

MMLOGAN

Member III
Flat tank oil changer

SeaRogue,

I use a oil change pump that I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17860-0012-Changer-3-5-Gallon-12-Volt/dp/B000O8B0M0

A bit pricey but cheaper than Christian's pants.

It does a good job if the oil is nice and warm. I put the pick line in through the dip stick tube and then fish around until I hear the pump pick up oil. After having it for a few years I finally learned (last month) to remove the cap from the catch tank since this relieves the pressure in the tank and I can see the stream of oil flow in from the pump. Old dog...

Best of luck,

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I've been very, very pleased with this one from West Marine: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--manual-oil-changer-2-85-quart--11097714 The small one has more than enough capacity for my little Yanmar 1GM. I see they have a larger size as well.

I got one of those last year Alan. Great little tool! Changed my life. I used to use a Perko hand pump, then used the Perko electric drill pump. Both are obsolete now because of this Worst Marine device that actually works very well. No fuss no muss and NO MESS! Works very quickly. The make a larger capacity one to.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have been using the four quart Tempo vacuum changer for about 15 years. Works great. I note that newer versions have differing capacities, but our engine holds four quarts.

Loren

Attachments

• temob5.jpg
    temob5.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 403

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I have been using the four quart Tempo vacuum changer for about 15 years. Works great. I note that newer versions have differing capacities, but our engine holds four quarts.

Loren
That looks very similar to the WM one I bought. I wonder if the WM version is a Tempo knock-off, or whether it is actually made by Tempo and sold under the WM label?

Either way, I don't get any mess during my oil changes and I'm very satisfied with it.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I use this, and seems to work good (and yes,warm up your engine for at least 25 minutes before attempting to extract the oil)... It took about 35 minutes to suck out the gallon+ of oil (didn't let it warm up enough). While I was at it, I changed my transmission oil as well...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000BYO97/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/182-8091236-7473946#

View attachment 15971

mark

Mark, I've done the cold oil change and it was like sucking IHOP syrup through a straw without a spotter! I'm curious to see how my pump works next time after a good warmup.

Joe Lyvers

Alliance
Transmission Fluid Access??

All good processes on the engine oil here but my question is how to gain access to the transmission on my 38-200 Universal 5432?
Over the top and remove stuff? Port side access panel and remove stuff? Fuel tank access panel and remove stuff? It needs servicing but I am stymied. Help please with ideas.
Thanks, Joe

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All good processes on the engine oil here but my question is how to gain access to the transmission on my 38-200 Universal 5432?
Over the top and remove stuff? Port side access panel and remove stuff? Fuel tank access panel and remove stuff? It needs servicing but I am stymied. Help please with ideas.
Thanks, Joe

Some changing techniques discussed in this prior thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...03-Synthetic-Transmission-fluid&referrerid=28

Joe, is your model the one with the engine under the companionway? (Or under the galley counter?)

Loren

Last edited:

Pat C.

Member III
Yours is a universal 25 I believe as is mine. I don't have a pump attached to the drain. Was going to install one but saw little point as the drain plus is at the front of the oil pan, thus the high end of the slope of the engine ( not to mention the impossible task of removing the drain plug in the first place). That would explain why you only got 3 quarts out.

Thus I use the dipstick hole. You can get most all of it out this way if you try hard enough. Plus one less pump in an already overcrowded engine room. I use something similar to the one pictured, I this its west marine's version. Very clean and easy to use, transport, empty and store.

Pat C.

Member III
Thanks, Joe

Remove the top plug (which is the dipstick BTW), suck it out with the aforementioned dipstick pump device. You won't get it all , so refill (I fill it completely to the top) and suck out several times (we refer to this method as "the solution to pollution is dilution" in the medical field). Then fill to the proper level via the dipstick.

The manual for the Hurth transmissions says you can fill completely during long storage to protect so won't be of any harm.

if you are brave and want to remove the drain plug as it is designed for then that will of course work. All I will say to that endeavor is good luck.

Last edited:

Navman

Member III
tranny fluid removal

I use the dip stick hole also on my 5432 engine. I use the same vacuum pump as I do when changing the oil. I got it at Tractor Supply for much less than the ones available at the marine stores and it holds 6 quarts ! Again, its best to warm up the engine 1st. I don't know if it helps or not, but I put it into gear for about 10 minutes while tied at the dock to warm up the fluid. Same when changing the oil but I find 30 minutes to warm up the oil to work better.

In reference to the color of the fresh oil, don't panic. I have been told that this is normal and that the oil will turn black after the engine has been run for an hour or so ( sometimes less). Not an indication of anything wrong. If I am incorrect in this, someone please let me know!

Navman
SV The Optimist II
38-0

u079721

Contributing Partner
When it comes time to fill the trans fluid to the proper level on the dipstick, here's a tip that I found very useful. That is, the level of the red fluid is just about invisible on the dark metal of the dipstick, or at least it was on mine. To be able to "visualize" the level, roll the surface of the dipstick across a clean paper towel. The hard to see oil will darken and wet the paper towel, and you'll be able to infer just how high up the stick the oil came.

lnill

Member III
Thanks, Joe
Access panel to the fuel tank. Look toward the engine with a flashlight. The "dipstick" is a bolt head on the top port side of the transmission.

lnill

Member III
When it comes time to fill the trans fluid to the proper level on the dipstick, here's a tip that I found very useful. That is, the level of the red fluid is just about invisible on the dark metal of the dipstick, or at least it was on mine. To be able to "visualize" the level, roll the surface of the dipstick across a clean paper towel. The hard to see oil will darken and wet the paper towel, and you'll be able to infer just how high up the stick the oil came.
On my transmission dip stick there is an area that is ground away that appears to represent the fill line. Is that a standard feature or a modification by a previous owner?