• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

raw water pump in and out? Bleed?

SeaRogue

Member II
I am replacing the water hoses on my Universal M25.

I removed the hoses and made a very nice diagram of where each hose went, and labeled each with a number. Two of those hoses connect to the raw water pump, one in and one out. What I left out of my diagram is which was in and which was out :0

I reasoned that the intake was on the bottom of the pump so I connected the bottom fitting on the pump to the thru hull for water intake. After installing all the hoses I opened the raw water thru hull fitting and started the engine. Aware that I may have deduced incorrectly which of the two fittings on the pump was the intake I watched carefully to see if water was being discharged from the stern of the boat when I started the engine. After about a minute of the engine running and no water being discharged I shut down the engine to think the issue through.

The first issue is whether I connected the seawater intake hose to the correct fitting on the pump. It is the bottom hose in this pic:

rotated.jpg

Sorry that the pic is 90 deg off in the image above. I could not figure out how to rotate it.

If the water intake port is not the lower one I screwed that up and that explains the problem. If I have connected the raw water intake to the correct fitting on the pump then there is another problem. Do you have to bleed the system of air to the pump? If so, how? Do you prime it be pouring water into the pump somehow?
I appreciate any input the group may have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I would take the cover off the pump and turn the motor by hand just a bit or have somebody hit the key for just a half second, this should make it obvious which way the flow is going inside the pump. You should probably check the impeller if you ran it dry anyhow so its a "two for one".

hodo

Member III
water Pump

If memory serves me, correctly, which it does when I can find it, I think your hoses are reversed. I will be at the boat tomorrow, and check.
Harold, Mischief :devil: Maker

SeaRogue

Member II
The intake hose goes on top

hodo you are correct. I had the hoses reversed. When I changed them to the correct configuration I had a good flow out the stern exhaust port within 20 seconds.