• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Exhaust Overheat Alarm?

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I did a search but didn't see anything on the forum.
Anybody have a temp sensor on the exhaust hose? experiences? advice?

I like the look of this one better than some others.
http://www.borelmfg.com/products_alarm.htm

I am in the middle of rebuilding (read replacing) my entire exhaust system; mixing elbow, hose, ext, except for the Vernalift and the through hull fitting. I am doing a bit of re-design because the factory spillover point at the mixing elbow is only four inches above water line...... and it could easily be more. (more = better)

Anyhow, I'm thinking I might as well add a exhaust temp sensor/alarm while I'm in there. I hate to think of the day when I motor out of the slip with the raw water seacock closed, but it could happen in a thoughtless moment. I'm not after-all totally immune to spontaneous and intermittent lapses of rational thought process.
I'm kind of a belt and suspenders kind of guy anyhow.

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
It looks like the alarm trips at 167F. My Yanmar manual states the stock temperature alarm trips at 193F. I wonder how hot your engine needs to be to cause damage?

Mark

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I don't want anything getting so hot it could cause a burn if touched. Damage I would think is not a problem until you get near 200 degrees.
I think maybe the real question is what is my normal operating exhaust temperature, it isn't too high because as of yet nothing gets very hot down there.
I want to be notified when I leave the realm of normal though.
I thought about getting a digital display gauge or something but I think a dummy signal is probably sufficient in conjunction with the engine temp gauge.

hodo

Member III
Exhaust temp

My exhaust temp sensor is on top of the mixing elbow. I think it was the same on my E30+.
Harold

Second Star

Member III
Exhaust Overheat alarm

I installed an aftermarket alarm from Borel Mfg; about $60 if I remember correctly. The sensor straps onto the exhaust hose just after the raw water injection point (about 2"). It senses post inject exhaust temp of more than 165F and sounds an alarm. Inject water comes from the heat exchanger so it is an early alert to raw water failure. Easy install and "automatic" operation.

unequaltee

Member II
It is possible to make an alarm for a few quid/bucks. A 90 degree ( Centigrade) normaly open thermal switch and a piezo Alarm can be bought on ebay for a under 6 of our uk pounds. (I guess 10 dollars ish)

There are different temperature switches available if 90 does not suit, or, two could be fitted one to a warning light to warn that things are getting warm and one to an alarm to warn that its going to start costing money unless something is done! I fitted mine by tucking one leg of the switch under the rubber exhaust pipe where it connects to the mixer and a stainless clip around the other leg.

Ian

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I ordered the Boreal temp alarm. It came to the doorstep in just three days, and it looks like a quality product. I'll post more when I get it installed and tested for function.