• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

PHRF rating for E28+

Gary G

Member II
I am looking into an organization out of Waukegan Harbor (north of Chicago on Lake Michigan) that conducts a "Race for Fun" racing series. It looks to be set up to be a less competitive and less intimidating approach for new sailors/owners to get into racing. I believe the weekly evening races are sponsored by the Anchorage yacht club. They claim to provide an onboard mentor to new racers/sailors which is an idea that really appeals to me. I have two questions. (1) Does anyone have experience with this group? (2) Does anyone have any examples of PHRF ratings for an unmodified E28+ on Lake Michigan? (Mine's a 1983)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
E 28+ Ratings

Seth's peanut gallery shows a base of 183 with 155% Genoas. Nationally, the range is 183-189.
If you can get your local PHRF board to be happy with 189, you did well
, and with a good bottom, PROPERLY MANAGED PROP (haha), which means folding or at least 2 blade fixed and aligned vertically, and some decent sails you will do just fine. Don't forget a backstay adjuster. This is especially important on this boat because it is a bit tippy, and if you can blade out the main as the breeze comes on you will be much faster than if you are dragging a big full main around. Good times.

PS_Couln't resist the prop comment!