• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Onboard My Ericson

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I post this photo every year. It's Alexandra at age 7; in the skiing photo above, she's 43, with three of her own kids.

Pic is Hillsmere Pond off the South River, before it was dredged. And yeah, I miss it.
glinda Alex 6.jpg

lbertran

Member III
Hillsmere Pond

Hi, Christian-
I just came back from walking my dog along Hillsmere Pond, or "Lake Hillsmere" as it's now known. Frozen solid but pretty as ever. You've always sounded like a Chesapeake sailor to me and I have to remind myself you're on the other coast :)

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
L.A. Light, Friday 2.20.15

I went out sailing on Friday afternoon for a few hours and I shot this picture of L.A. Light, looking outside the harbor (roughly SE). What's interesting and unusual are all of the container ships anchored outside the harbor. This is due to the work slow down related to the dispute between the longshoremen and management. (I heard on the news this afternoon that they had reached some kind of tentative agreement, so we'll see what happens.) I'm sure there are a lot more ships than what is shown in this picture, but this is the view I had as I was sailing by the L.A. Harbor opening.
Photo Feb 20, 4 06 46 PM.jpg

Vagabond39

Member III
I just wanted to say y'all are cruel cruel people. I took a walk around our marina today, and I mean all around the channel and out into the lake, given it's under about 18" of ice. -20 degrees here this morning, warming up to a balmy 3 this afternoon. All I can do is surf sailing websites and dream of a spring that seems very far off. Grrrrrrr! Why do I live in the frozen north?
Been there, done that!
I may still own a 38 Ford Coupe that sank in Lake Erie. And a "Friend's" Henry J is right behind it.
I was due to drive to Chicago, just after election day, however when they closed the Thruway from Rochester west to PA, and I could not get good data for PA and Ohio, I chickened out.
Bob

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Being raised a Hoosier....

I am grateful that I moved south!!!

Started out just replacing the mast boot and when it turned 70 degrees, I asked the Admiral if we could sail, she said yes!

“Attend now, my braves. I have mustered ye all round this capstan; and ye mates, flank me with your lances; and ye harpooneers, stand there with your irons; and ye, stout mariners, ring me in, that I may in some sort revive a noble custom of my fisherman fathers before me. O men, you will yet see that—Ha! boy, come back? bad pennies come not sooner. Hand it me. Why, now, this pewter had run brimming again, were't not thou St. Vitus' imp—away, thou ague!”

Ok, there was no crossing of harpoons or Melville but you get the picture.

It was one of those days when everything was perfect, in balance and so on.....

As we left our little bayou, a sailing buddy took this photo. Then, one of my favorite sailling bloggers and neighbor , Annie Dike (havewindwilltravel.com) happened by and took more photos. Beautiful day, wind at 14 knots yet no real fetch, no motor vessels, just beautiful!

More complments to the Ericson family.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

GregB

Member II
Last week in the Salish sea

sail 3.jpgsail1.jpegsail2.jpg

Apologies to those of you who are still snowed in. The admiral and I sailed from Seattle to... Seattle for presidents day. Hit 7.2 KPH on a broad reach with a reef in before getting chilly. Bell harbor Marina in Seattle is a great overnight, even in the winter!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

robjpowell

Member II
Down South, Very far South

It's been a while since I have posted here. After 21y in the US we returned home last year to New Zealand and bought our E35-2 with us (custom road trailer and under deck on a car carrier) -7y ownership and hundreds of hours of rehab, coupled with a love of the lines make one do somewhat irrational things. After installing a new anchor locker and bow/stem fitting, repairing leaks from travel vibration and swapping out the head for a composter she was splashed and placed on a mooring visible from our new home in Parua Bay NZ (http://tinyurl.com/m3au3sm) . This last weekend we sailed up the coast to Tutakaka and then out for an overnight in the marine reserve at the Poor Knights Islands ( http://tinyurl.com/m82s8xz , http://tinyurl.com/lmln4ah). A good family trip and a nice romp, with my young son, back to Whangarei with 20-25kt ~60deg off the port bow. While she didn't sail here on her own bottom Blue Chip is looking good and we are enjoying her here.

Rob

Blue Chip at anchor in Nursery Bay, Aorangi Island

BC2_E35-2_Poor_Knights_NZ.jpg

Attachments

• BC_E35-2_Poor_Knights_NZ.jpg
    BC_E35-2_Poor_Knights_NZ.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 123

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
It's been a while since I have posted here. After 21y in the US we returned home last year to New Zealand and bought our E35-2 with us (custom road trailer and under deck on a car carrier) -7y ownership and hundreds of hours of rehab, coupled with a love of the lines make one do somewhat irrational things. After installing a new anchor locker and bow/stem fitting, repairing leaks from travel vibration and swapping out the head for a composter she was splashed and placed on a mooring visible from our new home in Parua Bay NZ (http://tinyurl.com/m3au3sm) . This last weekend we sailed up the coast to Tutakaka and then out for an overnight in the marine reserve at the Poor Knights Islands ( http://tinyurl.com/m82s8xz , http://tinyurl.com/lmln4ah). A good family trip and a nice romp, with my young son, back to Whangarei with 20-25kt ~60deg off the port bow. While she didn't sail here on her own bottom Blue Chip is looking good and we are enjoying her here.

Rob

Blue Chip at anchor in Nursery Bay, Aorangi Island

View attachment 15911

She's a beauty! Ericsons in New Zealand, how cool is that?:nerd:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Sitting on Lotus Flower waiting for a rain shower to end so I can go for a sail. Just made a cup of hot chocolate on my explosive pressurized alcohol stove, heater is on, Stan Getz on pandora. Who am I kidding, I'm just enjoying the gental sway of the boat, the sound of the rain, the music and hot beverage. Time for a nap:)