• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-38 Companionway Hatch Cover

giledwards

I'm the pleased new owner of a 1984 Ericson 38, but I'm puzzled by one feature. My companionway hatch cover (some call it a turtle), into which the companionway hatch slides, has two molded-in depressions on the top. They are perhaps eight inches long, two inches wide, and two inches deep, in a race track shape. I have two black lexan pieces that seem to have, at one time, been caulked into the top of these holes, but they are loose now and sitting in a cockpit locker, so the holes just gather rainfall.

I'm at a complete loss as to what the purpose of these things is; can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks, Gil Edwards

stbdtack

Member III
mystery compartments......

According to the original sales brochure, these are compartments for storing sail ties. (from the brochure):

"The main companionway hatch is highlighted with non-skid and engineered to support two large sailhandlers in the event they may choose to work from this area in feeding sails below. We've even installed two gasket cuddies for mainsail tie storage"

The compartments should not hold water unless the drains are plugged. If you notice there are the same sort of compartments forward at the dorades and these are billed as tool storage.

cheers

giledwards

mystery compartments no-longer

Ben, thanks for the explanation. I guess it makes sense ... at least a little. I hadn't noticed drain holes in these things, but, given the rain that we're currently experiencing in the mid-Atlantic, and that I'll be back on the boat in a day or two, I'll see what the drainage situation is. I think I'll just use some silicone to fix the lexan pieces in place and seal these things up, and find someplace else for my sail ties.

Thanks again, Gil

Lawdog

Member III
blocked holes forward of hatch

the original sales brochure calls them gasketed cuddies, which were designed to hold the mainsail ties! An original idea, but yet most of the E38s have them caulked up. I also own an E38, 1983 version which is curently in Newport CA
Neal