• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E23 mk1 bulkhead replacement

Djames

I recently got an e23 mk1. I'm thinking about replacing the bulkheads. I wonder if I can use a jack and 2x4 to support the mast from inside the cabin. While I unbolt the bulkhead, replicate it and put a freshly made one back in its place?
0a9969k1ls

any thoughts?
Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 43

Second Star

Member III
Bulkhead replacement

FWIW, did this with my old 23 ft NA Spirit. If you slacken off the shrouds and stays the force on the deck goes down to the weight of the mast, say 75 lbs, vs the hundreds of pounds force of the rigging pulling the mast into the deck. Then you have much less chance of distorting the arch of the deck or the sole.

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Mast support

I'm not familiar with the setup on an E23, but I had a 23' trailerable sailboat where the mast was very easy to remove and reinstall with two people. I think on a boat that size, I would be more comfortable removing the mast, than risking a bump that dislodges the 2x4 support while removing and reinstalling a bulkhead.

It is also important to remember that at least one side of the stays will be disconnected while replacing the bulkhead, possibly resulting in the mast tipping. Have you talked to a marina to see how much it would be to pull the mast? A good lift would have it off in minutes.

I did the bulkhead on my E32 without removing the mast, but I also did not replace the entire bulkhead. I wanted to replace the whole bulkhead, but due to time constraints and $, I only repaired the offending section, leaving the mast support alone. One of the biggest challenges was what to do with the stay connected to the chainplate.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?176-Ericson-32-Bullkhead-Repair I made a few different blog entries, some with photos.

Good Luck! Please let us know how you do.

-Dean