• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Standing Rigging Replacement

Gregoryulrich

Member III
I just completed two long overdue projects on Patriot, re-bedding the port lights and the chain plates, which involved stripping and sanding the improperly applied topside paint a PO brushed on. The paint was separating from the gelcoat below creating voids which held and ultimately funneled water in through the various openings. Also the port light frames were spray painted so they had to be stripped.

While disconnecting the shrouds, one at a time so I could remove the chainplates for access, I really got a good look at my shrouds and swag fittings. I want to price out replacing the standing rigging myself vs. having a rigger do it. Obviously there are a lot of costs to consider, turnbuckles and fittings, unstepping/stepping the mast et. My buddy gets a discount on 316 stainless wire from Switzerland at a 10% discount. It looks like it works out to be about $.92/ft for 5 mm and $1.27/ft for 6mm plus $50 shipping which adds about $.22/ ft onto the final cost. Is this a good price?

Jakob Rope Systems

Gregoryulrich

Member III
Thank you Loren, I've checked through a bunch of threads on rigging costs and process. Most give a total cost. I'm just trying to find out if this is a decent price for cable only since I can get it at a discount. Bottom line is about $1.50/ft delivered.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thank you Loren, I've checked through a bunch of threads on rigging costs and process. Most give a total cost. I'm just trying to find out if this is a decent price for cable only since I can get it at a discount. Bottom line is about $1.50/ft delivered.

Well you might want to compare to Worst Marine. You can do your own metric conversions.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/alps-wire-rope--1-x-19-stainless-steel-type-302-304-wire--P012046793

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/alps-...rrosion-resistant-stainless-steel--P003273679