• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1970 E 35mk II tall mast for sale. $5,000.00!!!!!!

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Looks like someone removed an old Atomic Four, and one of the few 35s that's (still) tiller-steered.

I don't think a boat needing that much work is a steal at any price. So many pain-in-the-neck projects. Refabbing missing cushions--who wants to have to deal with that?

After a potential buyer is done sinking another $10k in some combination of dollars or sweat equity into the boat, they might as well have started out with a $15k boat and gone sailing a lot earlier.

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
I see it as a blank canvas. I looked more at the Facebook page and, yes she has no engine. Most any boat this age is going to need the same things, engine if desired, rigging, sails, tanks, stove, electronics if desired. No sense in paying for old worn out stuff in my opinion.

I took the same model in about the same shape and made her what I wanted. But I did it the long way. Paid more for a boat that had "all the stuff" just to spend more and more year after year nursing that old crap along. I wish I had this deal offered to me.

Then I sailed her to Mexico and back twice from San Francisco and Hawaii and back three times.

I wouldn't have done that in a $15,00.00 boat but I would on cheap hull deck and rig that I built out. For the right person this is a killer deal.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As this is a subject of endless fascination for me, I am trying to figure out if I agree with Phil MacFarlane. Here are current 35s on the block:

E35s.JPG

I think (might be getting it wrong) that Phil's point is that the "goodies" on a well-equipped older boat in the expected price range are half worn out, obsolete, not what you would have chosen, and not recently maintained. The sails are never any good. The rig is past its life. So-called small things which are not small, such as cushions and wiring and plumbing and tankage and running rigging are already limping along. You pay $20-25K. The four-hour survey misses the rudder post issue, the through-hulls problem, the balky transmission. The gap between the hull and the keel worries you. The cabin sole is beat up, the interior varnish doesn;t look very good, and the hatches, well, they're old, and ought to be replaced, and the portlights rebedded. So should every deck fitting on any boat 30 years old. But you write the check because there is a 1990 example of the same model for sale somewhere for twice what you are paying, and $50K seems a big chunk, where half that doesn't.

So you're buying a boat with a great deal of work and expense implied, even though it costs much less than a brokerage yacht listed as "ready to go."

Sounds good. But is it?

It depends on intended use. To make any cruising boat ready for offshore is very expensive. It doubles the cost of boats like ours (but not the resale value). To just have fun locally can mean a long wish-list of improvements that can be done or not as time and money permits.

It also depends on whether you want a boat that looks good in addition to being seaworthy. The price for excessive pride can be quite high. Here are some quotes for one 32-footer: Paint mast, $6,000. All new cushions, $6,000. Top-of-the-line dodger, $6,000. Some things you can do yourself. Those three items, probably not.

OK, we buy the $5,000 E35 that started this thread for $1,000--which is entirely possible. It is, as Phil implied, a blank canvas.

We get to choose and install an engine, buy new sails, rerig it, have a new rudder made, replumb and rewire, replace the fuel tanks and head, install a windlass, buy new cushions--wait, is there money for cushions? I think we just went over our $20K budget. Paint the spars, new dinghy and outboard, change the keelbolts, strip the bottom paint. The blank canvas is looking less blank. Honey, we should do the cushions. After all we got the boat for free....

I happen to like my Tri-Axial-Force grid and the somewhat improved (seems to me) Kirby hulls of the later 1980s, but that's not part of my indecision regarding what I think about what I think Phil might be saying.

The trouble is, it's so hard to be honest with yourself about the role of the yacht in your life. Because that's where the calculation should start.

If you're headed for the South Pacific, the blank slate makes sense. Will it save money? Probably not, because you're now a designer/builder, not a typical buyer.

If you're working 60 hours a week at your job, no major fixer-upper cruising boat makes any sense.

If you just like sailing and everything about boats, compromise has to be the best course. A boat in good shape with mostly good gear. Sail it. Improvements one at a time.

So I still don't know exactly where I stand regarding Phil's point. I do know the blank slate isn't for everybody--although it might be for me. I'd estimate two years to complete the E35 project. And I'm retired.

I am convinced of something: to buy a boat that's right for you spend a year looking, learn more than any broker about current regional market values, and offer 30 percent less than asking and stick to it.

The real skill is walking away.

Last edited:

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
We spent about a year looking for our boat. Looked at hundreds of them online and dozens of them in person. All the while crewing and sailing on all the boats I could. A decent 1970s Ericson 35 for around $10k was hard to turn down. A Cal 34 a little rough around the edges, but otherwise solid and with a brand new $15k diesel for under $6k was also hard to turn down. There are so many factors other thank year, make, model, and price. We chose to spend a bit more than our budget for a boat that was sail-ready, obviously well cared for, and not a total fixer upper. It all depends on your own personality and interests though I guess!

mark

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Ah the old half full glass.

I have a friend who specializes in buying boats like this, bringing them up to snuff, sailing them for a while then selling.....repeat. I'm sure his wife sighs every time he sees an old boat and starts dreaming.

I did that once with a beautiful old 38' Owens (that was wood). It almost ended my marriage..lol! The only difference between that boat and the Titanic? The Titanic had a band. A complete disaster!

On on the other hand, my friend mentioned above is a retired, multi-millionaire. Money and time are no object for him.

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Ah the old half full glass.

I have a friend who specializes in buying boats like this, bringing them up to snuff, sailing them for a while then selling.....repeat. I'm sure his wife sighs every time he sees an old boat and starts dreaming.

I did that once with a beautiful old 38' Owens (that was wood). It almost ended my marriage..lol! The only difference between that boat and the Titanic? The Titanic had a band. A complete disaster!

On on the other hand, my friend mentioned above is a retired, multi-millionaire. Money and time are no object for him.
I wonder how much money your friend loses on each boat?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The way to make a small fortune by restoring and selling boats is to start with a very large fortune.
Ha! I love that saying!

Even if your friend counts his labor costs at $0.00/hour I'll bet he still doesn't break even--though I suppose it depends on what exactly he does to "fix up" each boat.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I wonder how much money your friend loses on each boat?

Good question. He is 71 and has been sober for 30 years. I think he looks at restoring boats as necessary therapy. He and his workers are in the yard or on the dock at 7am six days a week.

In the four years that I have known him, I have seen him buy and restore a Morgan 41' Out Island, a Pearson, an Irwin and a Bristol. None of them were too far gone (although the Morgan could have used chain plates).