• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deck Fill Winch-style Key - Where?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Since sailng in the BVi the last two years on a Fountain Pajot, I have been looking for one of the small deck fill winch-style keys used to open the water caps.

I have had no luck so far in the US but have found them in Europe and Australia.

Can an anyone tell me where to find one of these here in the states?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 873

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Found out where to purchase a key spanner wrench. I ordered it from Beneteau in South Carolina. Cost only $22 including shipping. Mo betta'

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I must be confused... I thought the whole point of the star shape deck fills was that you could use a winch handle instead of needing some funky key? Not so?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I must be confused... I thought the whole point of the star shape deck fills was that you could use a winch handle instead of needing some funky key? Not so?

Yup. That was the clever idea. Problem was, that they did not make it entirely "idiot proof"....
:rolleyes:
Referencing my past experience reported here, the prior owner of our boat had ruined (!) both the lock-in swiveling plates on the end of the winch handles by using them on the original deck fills. I did get some rebuild kits from Lewmar for those bronze handles and the repair works fine.

I hugely prefer the ss ones that replaced those fills, with the flip-up turn tabs.

Loren

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
That makes more sense, winch handles are expensive items to ruin on deck fills.
There is always a catch.
Thanks Loren.

gadangit

Member III
Yup. That was the clever idea. Problem was, that they did not make it entirely "idiot proof"....
:rolleyes:
Referencing my past experience reported here, the prior owner of our boat had ruined (!) both the lock-in swiveling plates on the end of the winch handles by using them on the original deck fills. I did get some rebuild kits from Lewmar for those bronze handles and the repair works fine.

I hugely prefer the ss ones that replaced those fills, with the flip-up turn tabs.

Loren

Hi Loren-
I'm in the hunt for some deck fills as I move forward on some projects. Is it the Scandvik deck fill you are referring to? The number of different tools required to open a deck fill is kind of amazing, I can actually understand the winch handle option. In theory I'll always have a winch handle onboard.
Chris

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Loren-
I'm in the hunt for some deck fills as I move forward on some projects. Is it the Scandvik deck fill you are referring to? The number of different tools required to open a deck fill is kind of amazing, I can actually understand the winch handle option. In theory I'll always have a winch handle onboard.
Chris

That sounds right.
http://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm/method/Shopping_Products/CatId/292/ID/351.htm
According to their site, these are in the "close out" section.

Loren

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Believe it or not, our boat has two of what must be the original winch handles. They are very heavy. It makes over tightening the water fills very easy.

While sailing in in the BVi the Fountain-Pajot Catamaran we chartered had the same star fills but on the fuel tanks. Both boats had the type of key shown above. It was light and very handy.

I purchased one through Mailspeed Marine in England but they wanted me to pay over $50 for shipping. Then I thought a Fountain-Pajot is French, so is a Beneteau. And, they had it!

Now we have two parts from Beneteau on our boat. We also use their line holders. Elegant!

Last edited: