• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Mast Step

curmudgeon

I was inspecting thee rig on my Ericson 27 this weekend getting things ready for the summer season when I noticed a problem on the portion of the mast step attched to the mast itself. It appeared to have had three fasteners holding the mast to its base, but one was missing, one was corroded beyond recognition, and the third was a screw with significant corrosion around the head. I was able to back the screw out, and drill out the corroded fastener my plan being to pull the base off the mast inspect it for corrosion and drill and tap for new fasteners. When I got ready to pull the bottom off it would not come, and appears to be pivoting around the center of the shoe that sets into the mast step. Other than the hole for the pin the shoe has a hole one either side in the center that appears to have been drilled out to accept a flathead screw. There is not a screw in either hole, but looking through the hole you can see what looks like a twisted off fastener still in the mast on both sides.

I have looked through what information I could find, but cant seem to get information about how the step was originally contructed so I know what I am dealing with. I dont want to just start drilling pieces out if they serve some greater purpose of which I am not aware. Does anybody have exploded views of this assembly or has anybody dealt with this before? Any guidance would be appreciated.