• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Oil Vapor (M25) Question

Alain97133

There is nothing wrong with my 1800-hour Hurth 5 transmission.This weekend we motored six hours over two days, in harbor calm and ocean chop, revving from idle to to WOT. I could not make the transmission complain, even with a rapid advance of throttle. And believe me, I tried. I now believe that the grinding/squealing sound was related not to the transmission, but to the raw water pump. The pump had worn out was was spraying oily water. The shaft bearing or seal was shot. I replaced it last week with a new Oberdorfer.I now assess that the old Sherwood pump shaft, with a worn-out bearing surface, was making the "slipping transmission" noise at certain engine RPMs. And of course the noises stopped instantly with reduced throttle. Further, judging by reports on forums, most failing transmissions seem to not go in gear, or to be hard to shift. There are some reports of warning noises, but relatively few. I suppose the lesson is to go slow with any diagnosis that includes ambiguity or mysterious aspects, especially of expensive gear.

Hi! I'm new to this forum & don't know where to start with my Universal 25 problem (1987 Ericson 34), so here I am :(

I have oil in the air filter & not a tiny bit. I'm wondering what's the problem ?

I changed engine oil every 50 hours, & top transmission oil every time it seems low although I'm not convince about the dipstick accuracy, the engine/transmission being at an angle ?

Any idea is welcome ! Thanks ! Alain REMI

PS: Beside this problem, my Universal 25 works fine (1580 hours!), I used it a lot from Manistee, lake Michigan where I bought Sundance, last July to Beaufort North Carolina from where I took off alone December 5th for St Barthelemy -French West Indies- where I work.
I sailed it down the Great Lakes, motored it via the Erie Canal to the Hudson river, sailed & motored it down to NY/NY & then Oak Harbor Marina, Northern Chesapeake... etc

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome! That's a well-traveled boat, and I'm sure we'd all like to hear more about how the Caribbean is treating you.

I think if you start a thread under the Maintenance and Mechanical forum tab called something like "Excess Breather Hose Oil M25" you'll get the experts here involved.

I'm not an expert, but there's always a bit of oil vapor. My tube just vents into the K&N air filter, which is itself oiled. Some folks just direct the breather tube into a plastic jug to catch the excess. Too much oil coming out can mean an engine problem, of course.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
thread created

I put this into it's own thread. Hope the thread starter does not mind too much.
Loren

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Hi! I'm new to this forum & don't know where to start with my Universal 25 problem (1987 Ericson 34), so here I am :(

I have oil in the air filter & not a tiny bit. I'm wondering what's the problem ?

I changed engine oil every 50 hours, & top transmission oil every time it seems low although I'm not convince about the dipstick accuracy, the engine/transmission being at an angle ?

Any idea is welcome ! Thanks ! Alain REMI

PS: Beside this problem, my Universal 25 works fine (1580 hours!), I used it a lot from Manistee, lake Michigan where I bought Sundance, last July to Beaufort North Carolina from where I took off alone December 5th for St Barthelemy -French West Indies- where I work.
I sailed it down the Great Lakes, motored it via the Erie Canal to the Hudson river, sailed & motored it down to NY/NY & then Oak Harbor Marina, Northern Chesapeake... etc

Welcome Alain!
i don't think oil in the air filter is unusual. The breather hose connects to it so that's where it comes from. Ryan L posted a thread here a while back here where he put a collector there for the oil.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-mod-that-may-help-keep-oil-out-of-your-bilge

Man, that trip you took sounds awesome! I too would like to hear about your journey.
Rick

Last edited:

Alain97133

Great photos Alain!

Sailing nude eh?:0

What windvane is that?

Nude ? Nope ! I'm dressed with a very elegant Ritchie compass :)

The vane is an Hydrovane** the best among the best, but also the most expensive at around $6400 :( I bought this pre-owned from fellow Quebecois who gave up offshore sailing for Florida-Bahamas-Florida wintering...

**Best suited for fin keel + spade rudder sailboat... If you have a full keel, any type will do the trick. I used to have an Aries on my Nicholson 31 full keel sloop back in the 70'... Welcome to Hydrovane Self Steering - Hydrovane

lindaloo

Member II
topic drift

I love it when discussions meander.

Loren, I defy you to re-categorize this one. From diesel vapor to clothing-optional sailing.

We await.

Rob

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
" Inconceivable ! "

I love it when discussions meander.

Loren, I defy you to re-categorize this one. From diesel vapor to clothing-optional sailing.

We await.

Rob

Ha!
Can't be done... but at least Ericson sailors 'wear' very classy (Large!) compasses rather than cod pieces like guys wore in the 1500's. :0

And a Happy New Year to you all!
:egrin:

Loren

Last edited: