• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What kind of cabin sole do you have ?

carroll

Member II
I have a 1973 27' ericson . My cabin sole is gel coated with a non- shid pattern molded in . I have covered it with marine carpeting but i have become dissatisfied with the way it looks and how hard it is to keep clean . I was wondering what other 73-27's have or what other owners have done to their cabin soles. Anyone else who owns an ericson and have made improvements to their soles , please chime in . Thanks , Carroll

Interlocking drain mat

I purchased some interlocking rubber tile from the local Home depot. Now I see that industrial suppliers call it drain mat.

non-slip and allows water and debris to fall through. I occasionally pull the mat out completely and clean the textured surface the same as you have.

Jeff

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
In-door/out-door carpet here. You are right - it seems to get dirty fast. But then i have dog and everything I own has dog hair on it. If I only had a dollar for every...

kapnkd

kapnkd
I have a 1973 27' ericson . My cabin sole is gel coated with a non- shid pattern molded in . I have covered it with marine carpeting but i have become dissatisfied with the way it looks and how hard it is to keep clean . I was wondering what other 73-27's have or what other owners have done to their cabin soles. Anyone else who owns an ericson and have made improvements to their soles , please chime in . Thanks , Carroll

You might want to check out the www.plasteak.com website. It's a vinyl flooring that is pliable to handle slightly curved cabin sole surfaces and looks great.

Our '73 Ericson 32 came with (of all things!) shag carpeting (THE hot item of that era). THAT lasted about 3 months and was a MESS. I kept replacing carpet about once a year, eventually put in real teak and holy in the galley area. That helped but it was hard to lay down and only lasted a few years with lots and lots of effort.

We have since replaced the Teak & Holy with the Plasteak product in the galley area, head and forward berth areas. After about 3 seasons, it is holding up very well and is soooo much easier to keep clean! Here's a couple photos for you to review. The galley area hasn't been cleaned in quite a while since we're doing some major work. Also the vinyl has been removed in the head/hanging locker area since we're reworking the sole around the new compression post. Note also I put in pieces running lateral to create a pattern of division between the forward berth and head/hanging locker area. I still have carpeting in the main salon, but it is much easier to care for and seems to hold up fairly well.

Check the plasteak.com website out and see what you think. We've been happy and a few other boaters at our club have done the same and are likewise pleased.
-kerry

20140918_171802.jpg New Comression Post Added.jpg

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Does the Plasteak thickness fit in the relief in the sole of the boat. the reliel is only about 1/4 inch. I have also used carpet and find it nice in cold weather when spending time below but as stated has to be hosed down from time to time.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Does the Plasteak thickness fit in the relief in the sole of the boat. the reliel is only about 1/4 inch. I have also used carpet and find it nice in cold weather when spending time below but as stated has to be hosed down from time to time.

Our sole does not have the 1/4" relief you describe. Ours was a simple non-skid pattern that simply ended close to the sides. The plasteak is perhaps about 1/8" or slightly more thick. I made a pattern of the sole areas to be covered out of a heavy paper (carpet runner), then layed it on the plasteak and marked it with a pencil. This allowed me to center the pattern of the teak and holy for a better visual look as well. I cut the plasateak with a regular SHARP utility knife and a metal straight edge to ensure precise and straight cuts.

Here's a slightly better photo taken before removing the plasteak in the head/hanging locker area for work around the mast support column. (Note also how I used scrap pieces to create an "East/West" pattern across the "North/South" main direction of the plasteak flooring.) I used the holy as well to create a border area connecting to the North/South pattern to enhance the visuals of it all.) The photo of the plasteak was taken after lots of sanding going on, so the sole needs a good clean-up. The plasteak does clean up very easy and you can see the curve of the sole which the plasteak conforms to nicely.

You can also lay down carpeting or throw rugs over the plasteak when colder weather arrives but just be careful they don't slip and slide around on you as you walk on them (done THAT too!)
-kerry

Plasteak Cabin Sole.jpg

Last edited: