• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 on eBay goes for $1500

df1995

Member I
Maybe you recall that a couple months ago I asked about an 1971 Ericson 27 in Long Beach that was on sail on eBay. I won the auction at about $850. Then two experienced Ericson sailors, recruited on this board, took me for a test sail and convinced me I should reject the boat and get my money back. Knowing that they were wiser than me, I did that.

The boat has re-sold on eBay for $1500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291325134671?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I don't regret turning her down. I think it could be a good boat for someone that's handy and willing to work on her. But I would rather sail than work on a boat.

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Assuming the engine works, that looks to be a $600 outboard attached to a $5000 liability.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
But I would rather sail than work on a boat.

Look for a crew position. You'll be welcome, and when you hit the dock you can go home. Ownership, even of a brand new boat, is a full-time job for everyone, even those who don't get their hands dirty.

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I agree on finding a crew position. I like working on my boat. Some projects better than others (ahem...replacing holding tank and lines). I find working on my boat much more rewarding than working on my house. I can't stand dry-wall work. There's something to be said for not buying a "craftsman's dream" boat though.

Mark

Gary Holford

Member II
I find working on my boat can be an ordeal and or/an adventure but mostly a Zen kinda thing. Regardless it beats the heck out of drywalling or cutting the lawn. :)

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Working on boats is cheaper than a shrink and does more good. The E29 I bought for the coast to most people would have only needed a bottom job and launching, I have a punch list of 200 hours and 2/3 the proce I paid for the boat. This includes mods and upgrades for comfort not related to boat integrity. I find working on boats good for the soul and work on friends boats just for the fun working on other people's boats is cheaper than working on my boats, they buy the parts and sometimes they buy the food and beer).

Bottom line if you are luky four hours sailing and one hour work. It is all messing about boats and someone on this forom said God doesent subtract the time you are messing with boats from your days..,

Last edited: