• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 38, new owner

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
moved thread

I hope that the original poster does not mind, but I moved this thread to an area where it seems more appropriate.

Ahoy, Bruce,
What year and model is it?

Loren

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Well in addition to model year, how about some photos? Also is the boat in Oz? If so, there must be some interesting back story on an Ericson winding up in Oz.

rootsey333

Member II
Ericson 38

You got it,
I have purchased the yacht from Mark and Vicki but it is still in transit from Tin Can Bay in Queensland being delivered to my mooring in Forster NSW (Australia) by Mark as part of the purchase deal, it will arrive about 15/12/2014, it is a beautiful Yacht and has been well looked after by Mark and Vicki and I am looking forward to being its new owner!
Bruce

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Congratulations

The 1988 Ericson 38-200 is a great boat. Congratulations! Joliba is the same year and model. The previous owners have your boat well set up for cruising. Once you receive her, I'd be happy to help out with any questions you may have. (Once we own these boats for a while we discover their idiosyncrasies.)
Mike Jacker

rootsey333

Member II
Ericson 38

Hi Mike
Thanks a lot for your offer, I will most likely need help and advice as I learn about the boat and how to sail her, I have been in Aviation most of my life and now I am going to give Sailing a go before I am too old.
Bruce

Last edited:

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
Ericson 38 Owner

Mjke,
Having retired as a commercial pilot I now spent more time sailing (just not a 38). There are a lot of similarities between sailing and flying. You will do OK.

Ccaptain

rootsey333

Member II
Aviation and Sailing

Hi Ccaptain
All my flying was private in either a Cessna 172 or a Piper Cherokee 180 and I agree the theory of lift is the same. I hope I do OK, but I am concerned about getting in and out of the Inlet where I am moored, the current runs up to 10 knots and there is usually a 10 to 20 knot sea breeze blowing, it is recognized as the one of the most dangerous in NSW.
Bruce

Mjke,
Having retired as a commercial pilot I now spent more time sailing (just not a 38). There are a lot of similarities between sailing and flying. You will do OK.

Ccaptain

Joliba

Bruce,
Have you taken posession of your boat yet? Do you have any friends down there who are experienced sailors? With the conditions at your inlet, be sure to wait for a very light day for a first sail. Maneuvering under power in tight quarters is alway a challenge in a 38-200, even with no wind or current. The sailing itself in open water is actually the easiest part, so long as you aren't over canvassed for the conditions and pay attention to depths. I am also a small aircraft pilot (much of it in a Cessna 172) and understand your transition issues. It's a bit analogous to flying, in that the takeoff and landing are the critical parts to master at first. And a beginner shouldn't attempt landing in a strong crosswind on the first flight. Plan to spend as much time with maintenance and learning about the boat as actually sailing her. That's just the nature of it. You need to enjoy just being aboard, whatever the activity.
Mike

rootsey333

Member II
Ericson 38

Bruce,
Have you taken posession of your boat yet? Do you have any friends down there who are experienced sailors? With the conditions at your inlet, be sure to wait for a very light day for a first sail. Maneuvering under power in tight quarters is alway a challenge in a 38-200, even with no wind or current. The sailing itself in open water is actually the easiest part, so long as you aren't over canvassed for the conditions and pay attention to depths. I am also a small aircraft pilot (much of it in a Cessna 172) and understand your transition issues. It's a bit analogous to flying, in that the takeoff and landing are the critical parts to master at first. And a beginner shouldn't attempt landing in a strong crosswind on the first flight. Plan to spend as much time with maintenance and learning about the boat as actually sailing her. That's just the nature of it. You need to enjoy just being aboard, whatever the activity.
Mike

Hi Mike
I have finally taken possession of the Yacht, and no I do not have any friends here with yachting experience. I am going to join the local sailing club, learn how to sail small boats and hopefully find someone who will help me with my Yacht.
I intend to start slowly and carefully as I realize I am in a difficult environment, mooring will be my first learning experience then learning how to safely go in and out of the inlet picking the tide and winds and swell correctly.
Here is hoping all goes well
Bruce

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, if you don't mind, a few things:

Hire or find an experienced skipper to take you through the inlet several times, eventually including typical challenging conditions. Inlet running needs full local knowledge, knowledge of the handling characteristic of the specific boat, and confidence. The experienced person will teach you when to go and when not to, how to handle typical situations, and the various "bail-outs". Like flying, you'll always need to have a bail-out.

Emergency anchoring techniques to be polished and the right gear at the ready.

Confidence in the engine is important because strong currents make reliable auxiliary engines important in practical yachting--meaning, if the engine quits it takes the fun out (whereas on a lake you just shrug).

You're off on a wonderful adventure and sounds like you'll have good success.

If you really are new to sailing, there is no substitute for putting in some time on a sailing dinghy. And no better fun in the world.

Joliba

Bruce,
I strongly second everything Christian has written. As you learn to sail on smaller boats and hopefully meet the experienced sailors you will initially need as crew, be sure to spend as much time as possible aboard your boat exploring and fiddling with the equipment, as well. We cannot teach you to sail on this forum. Most comes from experience, but a knowledgeable mentor at your stage is almost essential to get you started. You will, however, have many questions about the vessel, her rigging, and her gear. We can try to answer those questions for you from afar. You still have most of the summer ahead of you.
Best of luck with this ambitious undertaking.
Mike

rootsey333

Member II
Learning

Well, if you don't mind, a few things:

Hire or find an experienced skipper to take you through the inlet several times, eventually including typical challenging conditions. Inlet running needs full local knowledge, knowledge of the handling characteristic of the specific boat, and confidence. The experienced person will teach you when to go and when not to, how to handle typical situations, and the various "bail-outs". Like flying, you'll always need to have a bail-out.

Emergency anchoring techniques to be polished and the right gear at the ready.

Confidence in the engine is important because strong currents make reliable auxiliary engines important in practical yachting--meaning, if the engine quits it takes the fun out (whereas on a lake you just shrug).

You're off on a wonderful adventure and sounds like you'll have good success.

If you really are new to sailing, there is no substitute for putting in some time on a sailing dinghy. And no better fun in the world.

Hi Christian
I really am new to sailing but I am sure I will get the hang of it and I definitely intend to do a bit of dinghy sailing at our local sailing club as soon as possible, at the moment just tying the yacht safely to my pole jetty is quite difficult as the tide rises and falls over 2 meters and the wind is often between 20 - 30 knots. Mark (previous owner) delivered the yacht last week and spent a few days familiarizing me with it but I think you are right I need to get hold of someone with experience to help me go in and out of the inlet, anyway thanks for the advice.
Bruce

rootsey333

Member II
Learning

Bruce,
I strongly second everything Christian has written. As you learn to sail on smaller boats and hopefully meet the experienced sailors you will initially need as crew, be sure to spend as much time as possible aboard your boat exploring and fiddling with the equipment, as well. We cannot teach you to sail on this forum. Most comes from experience, but a knowledgeable mentor at your stage is almost essential to get you started. You will, however, have many questions about the vessel, her rigging, and her gear. We can try to answer those questions for you from afar. You still have most of the summer ahead of you.
Best of luck with this ambitious undertaking.
Mike

Hi Joliba
Thanks again
Bruce

rootsey333

Member II
Hin

Hi Mike
Could you please tell me where the HIN plates are located (hull identification number), I need to get the Yacht registered in NSW Australia and have to locate two plates, one somewhere on the stern and one in the cabin.
Bruce

The 1988 Ericson 38-200 is a great boat. Congratulations! Joliba is the same year and model. The previous owners have your boat well set up for cruising. Once you receive her, I'd be happy to help out with any questions you may have. (Once we own these boats for a while we discover their idiosyncrasies.)
Mike Jacker