• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ideas for Cosmetic Improvement of Black Mast

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Anyone have experience with any of their brush-on primers?

No, but I had a number of places where, like you, I wanted to just spot-patch an area rather than taking it down to bare metal.

I had decent success spraying a small amount of the zinc-chromate primer into a plastic cup, and then dabbing it on with a small brush.

You may have to do some light sanding to remove any brush-marks, if the areas are in a place where the cosmetics would stick out, but... it works.

$.02
Bruce

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
mmm, don't know. Might be fine, I just don't know.

In broad terms, zinc-chromate is what you want - it is an "etching" primer, which provides a good chemical bond between the aluminum and the paint.

My instinct is that the "aluminum black" might be a one-step solution, but might also interfere with paint if you (later) decided to paint over the area. It's effectively a way to chemically "anodize" the aluminum, not really a surface-prep.

$.02

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I am upgrading my boom Ericson 1983 30+

Paint
:
AirCraft Spruce: Zinc, Phosphate - Boom primer - $17.5 and PTI white engine enamel - $18.50
at the suggestion of another Ericson thread. Both are spray cans. I will be sanding to metal, applying the primer and then two coast of white enamel.

Lines:
At the same time, I am replacing lines:
Boom Length: 13 Feet
Starboard Reef line (3/8) - NESS518 GREEN: 26 + 13 (Sta-Set)
Port Reef Line (3/8) - NESS518 RED: 16 + 13 (Sta-Set)
out haul (rope) (5/16) - NESS16 WHITE/BLUE: 10+ 13 (Sta-Set)
topping lift (rope) (5/16) - NESS146BLACK: 5+ 13 (Sta-Set)

APS recommended the Sta-Set instead of the XLS as the XLS was being discontinued and they did not have the colors.

MJS

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Thanks Bruce. I actually got a call in to a rep at Aircraft Spruce, but he was no help at all. He told me they have over 700 items in stock and he can't be familiar with them all. So I'm turning to my trusted EYO advisors.