• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking For E-27 In Central FLA (or near as possible)

DBM

would like to find one with wheel on aft bridge deck and a diesel of course for as little as possible :). A-4 not a deal killer. Nearest I've found so far is in the Chesapeake.

Last edited:

DBM

25+ Shoal ...

Would seriously consider a 25+ with the "shoal" keel. Diesels in any of these?

markvone

Sustaining Member
Yep,

Diesels are in the last few years of the 25+. The last year was 1983. Don't know when the diesels started being available in the 25+. I've seen some of those gas OMC outboard-powerhead/saildrives in some of the earlier 25+.
The 1982-3 E25+ has a lot of teak in the interior, close to the amount in the E26.

In 1984, the E26 (same hull as E25+) came out with the Yanmar 1GM, 7hp diesel, then got a 10hp. The E26 boats with serial numbers 200-299, between 1984 and 1987 have the nicest teak interior of all the small Ericsons (E27, E25+, E26).

Mark

DBM

Thanks for te Great Info!

I was curious about the relationship between 25+ and 26. Sure wish I could do a keel meant for just sailing and not a shoal draft compromise but such is the lot of a Banana River sailor. My Cal 27 III was the shoal version at 4' and a wonderful sailor but from what I've seen not nearly as sound as the Ericsons. I'm torn between "extreme" shoal draft boats such as the O'Day 25/26/28 and the Paceship 26 or these Ericsons. I would prefer not to have the maintenance of a CB (I am very aware of the E-25 CB ... nice) but to draw less than 3' around here would be the cat's @#$! BTW, I do have questions about the "swept back" rudder on the E-27 and any increased weather helm due to the design.

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
My 1984 E26, hull #215 was the 3'11" shoal keel. It sailed very well. You would not notice any lack of stability or sailing issues unless you sailed the deep keel back to back or raced. The shoal keel is thicker but the same weight. The brochure says the CG is within 3" of the deep keel. The thinner and better shaped deep keel is going to be faster downwind and have better lift upwind but you wouldn't notice any lack of performance unless you are racing to a rating.

The E26 200 series was just a subtle redesign of the E25+, but the same hull and rig. The E25+ has the main sheet on the bridgedeck, E26 has it forward of the companionway on the cabintop. They raised the level of the E26 v-berth to make it slightly wider, but it still is not really a double for adults. The stbd settee had an optional pullout to make a decent double. They both have standing headroom for me (5'10"). The newer E26 has some more modern features by being newer - like Lexan hatches (vs fiberglass), std diesel, painted mast. It makes for a great pocket yacht if you want to stay small but still have a strong and very well built boat with all modern features.

The earlier first versions of both the E26 and E25 were different from each other and had the CB option. I've never seen either in person, but they look much smaller and don't have as nice interiors. If you PM me your email I can send you the E25+ and E26 brochures and a Practical Sailor E25+ review. They are too big to attach here.

If you can't tell by now, I am a big fan of the E25+/E26. I only moved up to a bigger Ericson when I started cruising farther and wanted more speed. I actually was looking for another E26 a couple of years ago before I bought my E36RH.

Mark

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
There is no comparison between the Oday and Ericson boats. The O Day boats are mass-produced production boats and the Ericson boats are solid boats that you can be proud of and feel safe in. You might look at the Ericson 29 also, nicer layout than the 27 (the 27 is great by the way) and just as easy to handle.

DBM

No Doubt You Are Correct!

Randy, I live on a navigational canal off of the Banana River. Among this lagoon's attributes are very light boat traffic, lovely scenery and great weather most of the time. Biggest drawbacks are controlling draft of both air (43' Pineda Causeway) and sand/mud varieties. The E-29 would be first choice except for her 4' 3" keel which while capable of conning the river would limit my day sailing area just a little too much! My Cal 27 III drew 4' which while acceptable was restrictive when water levels were low. (we have no diurnal tides due to the locks at Port Canaveral and distance from free running inlets). I like the E-27 (3' 11") enough to maybe go down that road again but the idea of 2.5' to 3' minimum draft really appeals. I was on a 1977 Paceship 26 today, 6900# displacement with 2750# ballast and an unballasted swing keel drawing just 2' 7". Unfortunately, this particular vessel was a mess ... and the seller is in fantasyland with a 6K firm price. I will be looking at an E-27 on the Chesapeake and a 25+ in Washington NC next week so maybe romance will bloom :)

Last edited:

DBM

Got on board a 25+ shoal draft model yesterday. Too tender for my liking to be truthful. Typical Ericson down below ... well thought out small galley and very attractive woodwork. Boat was dry and will make a younger more spry sailor a fine little vessel! Nice size icebox, one of my pet peeves is a chintzy one such as found on the Paceship. Looking at a 27 in the Chesapeake on Tuesday. I suspect given ballast placement that she won't be so tender. It has been fifteen years since I've been boat hunting. This is fun!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Got on board a 25+ shoal draft model yesterday. Too tender for my liking to be truthful. Typical Ericson down below ... well thought out small galley and very attractive woodwork. Boat was dry and will make a younger more spry sailor a fine little vessel! Nice size icebox, one of my pet peeves is a chintzy one such as found on the Paceship. Looking at a 27 in the Chesapeake on Tuesday. I suspect given ballast placement that she won't be so tender. It has been fifteen years since I've been boat hunting. This is fun!
Just curious, but when you say the boat was "tender," did you take it out under sail, or was this just the movement of the boat when stepping aboard at the dock? When I downsized from my Catalina 30, a real tank of a boat, one of the things I immediately noticed is how much more my weight affects the trim of the boat. (My E26-2 is essentially an E25+ in most respects.) Under sail, though, I actually find the boat quite stiff. But then, I've got the deeper draft model, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

DBM

Did Not Sail ...

No need. I owned a 1984 Cal 27 Shoal (4') from 1984 to 1991. Numbers quite similar for both vessels. The Cal, though not comparable in terms of general construction and finish to the Ericson had one MAJOR design advantage. Instead of a complete ballast keel casting bolted more or less directly to the hull, the Cal had it's 2k# flared lead casting (similar to but not a proprietary "Scheel Keel") bolted to the bottom of an approximately 18" deep keel stub. The difference in CG between the two boats was immediately obvious as I stepped on board. The Cal had a masthead rig of approximately the same square footage but with a 4' shorter mast to boot. My point is that sailing her was unnecessary as placement of the ballast is still the same relative to the heel of the vessel and relative "stiffness" due to "weight" of the wind in the sails will not change assuming similar hull shapes. The Ericson 25+ hull shape is similar as well ... maybe a little finer bow but that was all the difference I could discern. I suspect for her accommodations and size she goes like a bat out of hell but as an old guy and gal, we need something a little more stable. My Pearson 28 Shoal had a similar design to the Ericson, at least as far as the "bolted to the hull" ballast keel and she was relatively tender as well though her hull, broader at the stern than I like had a harder turn of the bilge aft providing a degree of form stability. What draws me to the Ericsons and Lapworth Cals is the narrower stern at the waterline. My Pearson (and the Hunters, Beneteaus) that I have sailed tend to want to push the bow down when power reaching, a sensation I just don't appreciate. The search continues.