• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2015 Rendezvous

Date & Place Choices

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's time to start planning for the 2015 Rendezvous.

This coming year the next rendezvous would normally/usually be sited on the US side of the Salish Sea (as Puget Sound is known nowadays).
Last year's gathering at Maple Bay B.C. was very well-attended and we enjoyed it a LOT.
:egrin:

The last few years the rendezvous was changed from mid-June to the end of June so that it would not conflict with Fathers Day weekend (June 21, 2015).

It seems like we have been getting good participation since the move to the last weekend of June. Next year that would fall on June 26 through 28.

**All of you Ericson and Olson sailors need to weigh in with suggestions of when, whether you like one weekend or perhaps another, and... Where.

It would be good to reach a working consensus by January if not sooner, so that a press release can go out to the NW Sailing magazines.

Arrangements for a marina with at least 20 slips - or more - will need to be finalized. (It's normal for marinas to get booked up rather early for rendezvous, yacht club cruises, and the like.)
And then Lots of us will want time to schedule our vacations around this event as well.

Thank you!

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Poulsbo

Terra Nova throws in a vote for Poulsbo. Totally protected harbor. Tons of docking. A free party barge for groups of 20 boats or more. The town oozes tons of charm. Cooperative marina. :egrin:

Bob Morrison

GregB

Member II
plus one on Poulsbo

Ruach can make it if it is in Poulsbo... I was chicken to go to Maple Bay last year, Poulsbo I can handle!

Greg & Ruth

Terra Nova throws in a vote for Poulsbo. Totally protected harbor. Tons of docking. A free party barge for groups of 20 boats or more. The town oozes tons of charm. Cooperative marina. :egrin:

Bob Morrison

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Planning for 2015 Rendezvous

Hi All. We really liked attending the Ericson Rendezvos but since the date has been changed to the last weekend in June, it conflicts with another event we must attend. My wife is a Director of the Turn Point Lighthouse Preservation Group and the cleanup of the site prior to opening site for the summer is always scheduled for the last weekend in June. If the consensus is for the last weekend in June, we understand but would love it if another date could be picked. We are open to any location that provides for shore access such as in a marina (in other words, not a mooring or anchoring out rendezvous). Thanks for the consideration. We were sorry not make last year's event since all the reports have made it clear what a great job our Canadian friends did in organizing the event. Looking forward to more on planning the 2015 Rendezvous. Thanks. Dave & Donna-Marie (Amazing Grace-E38)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Where and the When

A friend of mine has been to a couple of Willard Rendezvous gatherings at Anacortes and sez they really roll out the red carpet for visiting groups. They did moor all of the boats together, also.
http://www.portofanacortes.com/rendezvous-fact-sheet

Given the wide area that our boats have to traverse, we do need something that is, to coin a phrase, "Equally Inconvenient" for everyone, whether coming down from Comox or up from Olympia (or even from Oregon!).

Looks like a poll should be in the offing.
One factor that never changes is that EVERY weekend is booked up - sometimes early - for someone, somewhere. :rolleyes:

Dates to consider, only IMHO, are June 20/21, June 27/28, and ??
Note that US marinas are likely to be way overbooked for the next weekend, July 4/5.

Locations: Pt Townsend is handy for BC boaters who have to clear Customs, but other ports might be reasonable once they check in. Check in can be done at Port Angeles, too.

A reasonable journey from Pt Angeles is Pt Ludlow, one of my favorite marinas and one that caters to groups like ours.

Looking at something more central for the BC folks, Anacortes might fill the bill.

Choices and choices and choices, oh my.

Throw in some more thoughts and I will put up a Poll.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I think we would go for Anacortes or Port Townsend. We like the shift away from Father's Day, too. So the last weekend in June is fine.

June

Hi NW!,

I hope this isn't too stupid a question, just curious why July/August when the weather is nice are not options?

and ..... --- add as many votes as you'll give me to Poulsbo it's a great place to journey/stay, even in June we can make it there (E27).

sorry to distract I was just curious,
tom

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi NW!,

I hope this isn't too stupid a question, just curious why July/August when the weather is nice are not options?

and ..... --- add as many votes as you'll give me to Poulsbo it's a great place to journey/stay, even in June we can make it there (E27).

sorry to distract I was just curious,
tom

If I had to make an educated guess, the earlier weekends fit better for those wanting to journey north into the farther reaches of the Gulf Islands or up above Vancouver for their summer vacation. Many of those folks do not return southwards until the end of August.
That's kind of what we did in 2014, going further up the east side of Vanc. Island after the rendezvous.
Remembering back, it seems like most participants do like the June part of the calendar, but your question is quite valid anyway.

From our position down in Oregon, the coastal transit gets better (or at least predictable) in June when the summer weather pattern seems to get established.

Other owners should be chiming in with ideas and rationales.
Stay tuned....

Loren

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Loren,
Good points about the traditional rendezvous timing. We should be headed north into Canada this summer around this time. Poulsbo and Port Ludlow are fine choices too, as our Seattle location makes those spots easy half-day or less trips.

We both retired this summer so 2015 will be our first extended cruise (provided we don't miss the cat too much) into the Gulf Islands and on to Desolation Sound.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Another vote for Poulsbo

We might be able to make it next year now that the boat is in Olympia. Last time we made it was 2005 in Port Townsend?

Personally, I like the Poulsbo alternative - Anacortes would be too much of an adventure for our rather young children.

Either of the June weekends look reasonable to me, but I understand that everyone has different scheduling constraints.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Polling added

I have just added a poll.
If you folks want more/other choices, please do let me know.

Whatever and whenver we decide, we do need to get to a decision fairly soon. Please forward this to all of your Ericson and Olson owning friends in the NW.

I decided not to add in my obvious "choice" for a US destination -- RCYC, Portland, OR..... but was tempted to do so!
:rolleyes:

Thanks much,
Loren

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Hey Loren,

It would be unfair to have the rendezvous in Portland now that our boat is in Olympia. :)

Seriously though, way-back-when us and some of the Hayden Bay Ericson crowd half-considered a Portland mini rendezvous. There are enough around to make a decent showing I'd suspect.

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
Be aware, Poulsbo does 3rd of july fireworks, and fills up fast. Reservations need to be made asap. Or, Raft out

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Time to declare a Choice

We need to pick a place and get the reservations made for about 20 Ericsons, or more.
It looks like the last weekend in June (27-28) is most popular by far.

Location looks to be Poulsbo (9 votes) followed by Pt Townsend (6 votes).

Both have their advantages.

Now... what is required is that someone contact the marinas and see if they have an opening on the dates we need. Along with enough slips, it's a big plus if they are all in one physical location.

Having done this before from my home in Portland, by phone and email, I guess that I proved that it can be done, but it's a LOT better to have someone closer.

Anyone want to wear this hat?
Class? Bueller?!
:)

Given that the marinas really like the business and that they take care of almost all of the docking logistics, this leaves you with organizing the pot luck, any door prizes, and perhaps even T shirts.

Several of us have done this in the past and will be glad to answer your questions. Further, you do not have to "do everything." Once we have a rendezvous leader, others will speak up and pick up the other parts of the plan. They will bring good ideas to the (virtual) table, as well.

Contact me please, here or by private email.
Thanks a lot.

Loren
sailaway10 AT comcast DOT net

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
newb

Hi,

I live fairly close to Poulsbo, in Eagle Harbor. I can help out wherever needed, although I'm not sure I want to take on the task of heading the whole thing up. I'd like to try and go to this, but don't know what my schedule is that far out yet.

What can one expect at one of these things?

Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rendezvous planning stuff

Hi,

I live fairly close to Poulsbo, in Eagle Harbor. I can help out wherever needed, although I'm not sure I want to take on the task of heading the whole thing up. I'd like to try and go to this, but don't know what my schedule is that far out yet.
What can one expect at one of these things?
Mark

Hi Mark,
While it can be difficult to absolutely guarantee a schedule six months out, the main parts can be put into place.

One way to look at it is to prioritize the features that you want.
If you look at the whole Possible array of activities in one list, it can seem a little overwhelming at first. The old parable about eating an elephant "one bite at a time" is as true as ever!

First: you must have a Date certain and a Venue. Along with choosing that venue, the port chosen should be willing guarantee up to 20 slips in one continuous group.

Second: is everything else.

Under that "Second" list are some priorities sorted out by time (i.e. date).

As soon as possible a notice goes out to NW boating magazines for their announcements and rendezvous calendars - these folks will have a multi-month lead time. The notice can be short and I have found them to be most helpful when asked what facts are needed. Write up your text in classic newspaper format: make your first paragraph contain only the essentials (Who, What, Where) so that it can minimally convey ALL the vital info. That will include a contact email and a link to this site and forum.
That way if they have to edit it for space they do not have to guess what is important. Next paragraph can have amplifying info about the number expected, history, and extra activities planned. If there are several additional paragraphs, also arrange them in a descending order of priority in case some material needs to be left out.

As we get closer to April and May, it's time to think about door prizes, a guest speaker (if any available), and any structure (?) to the social or a possible sail-past activity.

You will find that the owners that worked on the 2014 gathering will forward their ideas and guidance on what worked well, and what might be changed or enhanced the next time around. For instance, after dealing with the folks at the Pt Hudson Marina in 2013, I learned quite a bit about their priorities and organization. To keep things in perspective, a large marina has a LOT of irons in the fire at any one time and our group is just one many competing for their attention during a busy summer season.

Feel free to contact me privately for more info.
Thanks,
Loren

ps: a check on their on-line reservations spreadsheet @ Poulsbo Marina today shows that they are booked for the last weekend of June. (If I am reading it correctly.)

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thank You !

Ahoy,

I contacted the Port of Poulsbo and they can accommodate us the weekend of June 26th-27th. Here's a link with some info/video of their facilities...

http://portofpoulsbo.com/poulsbo-marina/

Please let me know if I need to make the reservations...

Thanks,
Mark

THANKS!
I too believe that it's time to take the proverbial 'bull by the horns' and get a reservation nailed down. Once there is a place and date set, a lot of NW Ericson and Olson owners can start to plan their summer around it.
That would be us, among others! :egrin:

Their calendar still shows the weekend of June 26 - 28 booked for the USPS (US Power Squadron), so we can presume that they can provide for more than one group at a time? What about providing us with shore side gathering area?
If they can accommodate us, go ahead and reserve it.

I believe that Bob in Pt Angeles (logs on this site as "supersailor") can assist you, but like you he does not have time to be the chief.

I will help as much as I can at a distance, but I gotta say that's really GREAT to have someone on scene to visit the marina a time or two and just be handy to assemble information and ideas.

BTW, I wonder if the folks that created that awesome poster last year might be able to update it?

And, wait, there's more. Just today I found out about a YC member with one of those trick embroidery sewing machines that can put words and images on T shirts.... gotta speak to her about graphics and pricing...
:)

Thanks again,
Loren

Last edited:

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Rendezvoua 2015

Hi! Hilda Harris E28 and Eden E30+ just had a meeting last week on this very subject, although we both like Pulsebo
(land of the Vikings) Port Townsend is easiest for us. We will attend either Our Eden has 45 hrs on her rebuilt engine,
newer sails and new upholstery and we,ve just put in two more drawers , hey that fourteen now. Even more convenient
we will go to either or any place you choose

Chas and Judi PS has anyone out there owned their Ericson more than 20 years? ::egrin: