• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 - characteristics in strong wind?

PDBFL904

Would you generally describe her as a tender or stiff boat?

At what wind speed do you need to start reducing sail?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I usually reef the main at around 17 kts apparent when going to weather. This with a 135% genny. I keep reefing the main until it's down and sail on the genny.

PDBFL904

Thanks, quick follow up. Assuming reefing done timely, does the E34 carry a balanced helm? For that matter, is the helm balanced in general with proper sail trim? Does she perform ok just on the genoa 135 when wind conditions warrant? Finally, can she handle 25-30 knots with proper sail trim and skipper experience? Trying to assess her limits - within reason.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
E-34 in Heaver weather

Hi,

Living in Port Angeles on the southern edge of the "infamous" Straights of Juan de Fuca, I have a little Experience with the heaver weather side of E-34 sailing. The E-34 is a great boat in higher winds. The wide beam and deep keel make for stiffness. The sharp deep forefoot does not pound in lumpy seas (the only kind we seem to get). The E-34 has a generous sail plan which gives it excellent light air performance. It also means there is a lot of sail when the wind is howling. I usually carry a roller furling 130 on the forestay. I have the option of a roller furling 70 if it's really wild. That means gale and above. I bought the boat in Victoria. The first sail was back to Port Angeles hard on the wind in 24-28 knot winds and a heavy ebb tide opposing the wind. That meant punching into 6- 8 foot lumpers for 18+ miles hard on the wind. Not the best weather to introduce the wife to a new boat. It also meant a great chance to play monkey and jump all over the boat trying different sail combinations. The boat balances well and does 7+ knots with two reefs in the main and the jib rolled in to about 80% Pretty impressive in those conditions. Also , there was no pounding. With the main completely down and the jib rolled in to a 120% the boat did 7+ knots with only a slight weather helm. Remember this was hard on the wind. The only advantage I saw in these conditions to the main up with the jib rolled in was that it raised the foot so the jib scooped less water. Like Tom, I normally reef the main until there is no main and sail under the jib only. Why work two sails when one does just as good? The exception is when the seas are high. Then I either furl the jib to around 80% or set the 70% which is above the lifelines and use a double reefed main. Above 35 knots, the boat sails with just the 70%

Bob Morrison
E-34 "Terra Nova"
Port Angeles

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I would suspect this was written from the brochure with a little input from a couple of people who had sailed one.

I was interested in the comment about the grid cracking under the mast step. I have never heard of this happening or it being a problem.

Has anyone heard of this?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Grid

Tom, I have talked to two people who have had rot in a part of the grid and had to do work there. I have not met anyone that has had cracks under the mast step. The rot appears to have been started by leaving open holes in the grid after reflooring? This was in models other than the 34. :confused:

Bob