• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28 sail plan

DanielW

E-28 Owner
Hi there

when I bought my E28-2 she came with two 150 deck sweeper genoas, they are huge sails. I've used the newest of the two for four years now and whilst i've no complaints from a performance perspective, I really do feel that the genoa does most of the work, back drafting the main like crazy. I've tried everything to stop this but cannot seem to prevent the main from flogging like a sack in the wind for about a third of the way across, the rest sets very nicely. I even bought a new fully battened main in the hope it would help but alas, same problem, the genoa hogs the wind. Also, it is a pain in the ass from a visibility perspective, cannot see a thing as it is such a low cut sail. Even without the main up and just using the genoa I find the boats performance as good as when I'm using both.

so, I'm wondering what the stock sail config for the E28 was. All the photos on the web seem to feature a deck sweeping genoa rather than a jib. Any particular reason for this? Is it a case that a fractional rig with a jib simply doesn't pack enough punch?

should I look at a genoa with a higher cut?

Grateful for any insights.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
My E-26 III came to me with the factory set of sails, and one was an enormous genoa which made me laugh the first time I hoisted it. I took it right back off and it has never been up the stay again. I use my 110 which the po had never taken out of the bag, and even it is usually too much. In addition to being to big it is also too light for the winds here off the southern oregon coast. I'm going to have sailrite cut me a 85% heavy that will be my primary working jib. I just don't need that much sail to reach hull speed. and when the wind gets really light I usually brake out the asymmetrical spinnaker anyhow. That's just me though. I often sail in 20+ kts of wind. I also believe the deck-sweepers can be a dangerous hindrance to being able to see where your going.

DanielW

E-28 Owner
I also believe the deck-sweepers can be a dangerous hindrance to being able to see where your going.

Yep, especially with all the heavy traffic in the Singapore Straits.

Evolution have a local loft so I've got the guys coming over for a sail. He will assess the set up and recommend a suitable headsail for my cruising needs.

I'll update as and when.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
sailrite

I looked into others but it cost double and I have a machine and floor space available at by brothers shop. Making my own stuff is cool anyhow.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I'm going to have sailrite cut me a 85% heavy that will be my primary working jib. I just don't need that much sail to reach hull speed. and when the wind gets really light I usually brake out the asymmetrical spinnaker anyhow. That's just me though. I often sail in 20+ kts of wind

I hear you Shelman! I sail primarily in 15-20 mph winds and often in the summer those gust to 30 mph. My primary jib in 95% but I love to sail the 80. Easy to tack and hull speed to spare. Just can't point as high as i would like to.