• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1976 Ericson 36C (Possibly For Sale Soon)

Mick

Member I
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.

My father passed away in February and I took possession of his Ericson 36C. She's not in great shape but she's not a complete wreck either. I have been holding on to her and paying the dock fees trying to decide if I'm going to try to keep her or have to sell her. Unfortunately, I just don't see myself being able to do the work that is needed to make her sailable again so I think I'm going to have to sell her. I had a survey done in order to obtain insurance and it listed some things that needed to be done before they would insure her to be sailed again, primarily the rigging, since I don't think it has been done in 20 years now. I am a capable sailor but I have no idea how to handle much of the maintenance the boat needs. If she was sailable right now the decision would be easy and I'd be out sailing her right now.

Basically, I have no idea how to sell a boat like this. I'm currently working on transferring the ownership through the USCG. She is a documented vessel and I have a temporary documentation certificate but I'm waiting on the official one. I'm assuming I need to wait for that before I can actually sell her. Is it best to try to sell a boat like this here, craigslist, or through a broker? Any ideas what sort of value/price she would have in her condition?

The Good:
Engine has new belts, starter, alternator, impeller, filters, and starts right up. Engine is a Yanmar 3GM30F.
New head with new Lectra/San
New charger/inverter recently installed
Shaft packing recently redone.
Has several sails, main, stay, and jib on roller furling. All of the sails have been off the boat for 7-8 years and stored in my father's garage. Hopefully this means they are in decent condition, but, I don't know what condition they are actually in.

The Bad:
Rigging needs to be done, I don't know the last time it was done.
Through hulls: the cockpit drains and the galley sink ones are frozen and need to be replaced.
Bottom needs to be done, she has had a diver down every 6 months or so and have kept the zincs changed but the bottom hasn't been painted in 10-15 years.
Needs a good cleaning, buffing, and woodwork done.
Sails are in unknown condition

There was more but that's what I'm remembering from the survey off the top of my head.

Thanks for any information, recommendations, advice, and heck, even offers if anybody is interested?

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Craig's List is a good idea. It's the place for bargains and where people go when looking for a project.