• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cole Hersee push buttons

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A recurring source of irritation for me is these Momentary On Cole Hersee push buttons, which go for $20 on the shelf at West Marine.

They are often the source of surprise engine-won't-start.

I installed new ones, glow plug and start, on my cockpit engine controls six months ago, and just replaced both again. They were frequently under salt water this summer, despite a spray shield over the cockpit panel.
button broken.jpg
On one button, the right-angle screw tab corroded right off. This was not caused by any mechanical pull, since the back of the instruments is protected by a heavy cover, and the wire is just a short jumper.

The design of these robust-looking buttons is really not so hot.
button exploded.jpg
After smashing one with a hammer, for an "exploded view", the mechanism is apparent. The issue with a stuck button is within the case. Pushing the button presses down a horizontal bar, against two springs, thus making the momentary circuit.

However, there's not much room inside the case, and if the button sticks or won't move it;s because corrosion has gummed up that part of the works. Difficult to get lubricant in there, difficult to wash salt crystals out. Impossible, while the button is installed in the panel.

The buttons can be brought back to life by soaking in fresh water and continued operation of the unit against its springs. It took me about 10 full minutes to get all the glop out.

If the buttons stick, or won't push in, there is not much you can do except putting them through that treatment.

The fellow with the next slip to me sympathized and showed me the two spares he keeps on board.

Stuck buttons always occur as you arrive at the boat with five guests, he said. A point well taken, seems to me.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I like the Cole Hersee M-626-BP switch better. $15 at Defender. $24 at West Marine. It's much more robust; rated at 35 amps vs 10 amps. You do have to remember to mount with the drain hole facing down.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|328|2290051|2290054&id=618206

It is the same switch as the CH M-490 which doesn't have the rubber boot. The boots are available separately.

BTW, try to avoid salt water. :nerd:

Attachments

• Cole Hersee M-626BP.jpg
    Cole Hersee M-626BP.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 176

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I eventually concluded that if the button is likely to be sprayed or surmerged by salt water, a model like the CH 90002 is probably best.

The O-ring in the stem is what I need, since the water penetrates around the button and through the barrel.

All products listed in this section can be found in Section G of the Cole Hersee D-275 CATALOG.
  • 6-36V DC.10A at 12V DC.
  • SPST Normally Off, spring return to Off.
  • Silver contactsA pair of devices that touch or come apart at the point where the switch throw makes or breaks the circuit. Silver contacts are common because of their low conductivity and low electrical resistance. Many Cole Hersee switches have silver contacts..
  • Chrome-plated button and facenut.
  • Weather-resistant and dust-resistant.
  • Gasket-sealed case and O-ring in stem.
  • Two screw terminals with lockwashers.
  • Mounting stem: 5/8"-32 thread, 1 1/16" (26.9mm) long.
- See more at: http://www.finditparts.com/products...nsMJSE6UUWfmAaAomg8P8HAQ#sthash.aiecAy9z.dpuf

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
  • 6-36V DC.10A at 12V DC.
  • SPST Normally Off, spring return to Off.
Yup, go for it. Of course, we've had the conversation before. "Tom - the starter runs when I turn on the key."

This switch is normally on. The page you are looking at screwed it up. At the top of the page it says "SW MOM NC" which means it is momentary and normally closed, but in the description it says normally off. Cole Hersee says normally on, but what would they know? :rolleyes: For some reason CH doesn't list the same switch with normally open contacts. You could call them to ask about it.

Beyond that, I don't like under-rating the switch. This switch is 10 amps @ 12 VDC and I think you are above that with your glow plugs. IIRC the glow plugs draw 6 amps.

I've had good life out of the rubber boots that come with other switches.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Now when I push the button on the boat my wife's Prius starts up.

Her mechanic says that's because it's a Mom On button.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Because of space and time constraints I have never pushed your boat's buttons nor your wife's. :0

I suspect we should probably get back to the electrical sh*t.