• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25+ Hatch

LEB

Member I
The lid is crazed, hinges are worn and the gasket doesn't fit well in the poorly routed groove on the underside of the lid. I'm wondering about the integrity of the lid with that large hole that was cut in for the vent. It mounts flush and exactly matches the molded hole in the deck. It appears to be original equipment.

All of the replacements i've seen have a flange that fits inside the hole in the deck. Anyone aware of an appropriate replacement?

NCM_0064.jpg

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The lid is crazed, hinges are worn and the gasket doesn't fit well in the poorly routed groove on the underside of the lid. I'm wondering about the integrity of the lid with that large hole that was cut in for the vent. It mounts flush and exactly matches the molded hole in the deck. It appears to be original equipment.

All of the replacements i've seen have a flange that fits inside the hole in the deck. Anyone aware of an appropriate replacement?

View attachment 15027
Based on your picture your hatch doesn't look half bad to me! But the camera does sometimes make things look better than they are....

As for replacements: You might want to check with Minney's in Newport Beach and see what they have on hand at the moment.

Glyn Judson

Replacement hatch.

Dear friend, I had a similar experience, save for the worn hinges. The identical hatch on our former E25+ was badly crazed as well. It was a simple job for my local plastics shop guy to cut another using the old one as a pattern. As to the hinges, consider drilling them out to the next larger pin size, then making new ones from stainless steel rod or long bolts with heads and threads cut off. Hint: The tech told me that to prevent crazing in the future, I'd need to protect the plastic (I used Lexan) from the heat of the sun and not UV. The fix was to have a new Sunbrella cover made that had a sheet of 1/4" closed cell foam permanently sewn into it just like a pillow in a pillow case. Six months later, a friend asked if I'd do the same for him but he chose not to insulate his hatch cover. Years later my hatch was still nice and clear while his was already showing signs of serious crazing. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

sailorman37

Member II
My hatch was in horrible shape. I had a plastics shop make a new Lexan piece with the routered groove and bolt holes for around $100. Take the hatch off, sand and prime with zinc chromate, paint and rework the hinge with new pins (shaft from a nylon bolt). I used a spray can of Suzuki engine paint with great success. Ace Hardware has nylon spacers and washers for hardware on the Lexan. Replaced the rubber gasket with same round EPDM from Tampa Rubber and Gasket for a few $/foot. Glued it in the frame with rubber cement. Also covered with Sunbrella and insulation and have not had a problem.

Attachments

• 787.jpg
    787.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 746.jpg
    746.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 43