• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Repower E30+

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Background:

I purchased a Ericson 1983 30+ in March or 2014.
Now that I look back, the broker kept suggesting I have the engine looked at... I should have known.

While replacing throttle and transmission cables, I removed the rusted out water heater.

Note: I reconnected the coolant lines so the coolant would loop.

Being excited about getting the boat back I went for an overnighter in 15-18 knots. When it was time to return, I was headed into the wind and tide in Chesapeake bay. Ended up running the engine for 3 hours to battle back to sheltered harbor.

The next day I tried to sail but the engine over heated.

I asked a mechanic to look at the engine and this is the response:

"I was at the boat this afternoon. cooling system held pressure when tested. you have oil leaks as you know with all the kitty litter under the engine. I ran the engine, there is a rapping noise coming from the front cylinder. I did a compression test. the front was 380 psi (slow getting there) the rear was 405 psi (achieved quickly). There is definitely something wrong with the front cylinder.
I did not do a service to the engine."

Mechanic suggested a repower and I am researching the Kubota Beta 16.

I feel like a idiot knowing that the coolant most likely had an air blockage and that having a little more knowledge would have saved me a big bill.

MJS

MJS

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have a1984 E30 plus which probably has the same universal diesel as yours. Mechanics have told me these are great little engines. Unless you ran it a long time while overheated, I'm guessing your cylinder problem is something unrelated. Maybe yours can be rebuilt for much less than a new engine.
Maybe some of the mechanics on this site will offer advice or other options.

Frank

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I have a1984 E30 plus which probably has the same universal diesel as yours. Mechanics have told me these are great little engines. Unless you ran it a long time while overheated, I'm guessing your cylinder problem is something unrelated. Maybe yours can be rebuilt for much less than a new engine.
Maybe some of the mechanics on this site will offer advice or other options.

Frank

That would be my hope.

I have 1 quote and will post others as I get them:
"We just installed a replacement Beta 16 w/transmission, waterproof full instrument panel, and high rise exhaust mixer elbow.

The "Annapolis Boat Show Special" cost was $ 8295.00 for the engine/trans, and $3700 for labor and miscellaneous materials. This was a very straightforward installation without any modifications of engine beds and re-utilized all other existing components and equipment. In addition to these costs, the owner did need to purchase and install a new propeller.

If you are ready to do this re-power, we would need to see your existing installation and take a couple preliminary measurements to get specific on price.

Thank you,

Dependable Marine Service"

MJS

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Repower quote 2, 3 and 4

Quote 2

A Yanmar 3YM30 would be $10,400 with transmission. That is a 20% discount price from retail. We might be able a bit more off during the Annapolis Boatshow. This includes the engine and standard accessories. It does not include inbound shipping (usually ~ $200) or MD Sales Tax, $624. Installation is typically 80 hours at $100/hr. There will be some installation materials which will vary depending on what we can use on your old setup, such as the prop, shaft, controls, cables, hoses, wiring, etc. I think it would be reasonable to budget $22-$25,000 for a repower with a Yanmar or other engine of this size.

There are other engines of course, Universal, Westerbeke, Volvo, Beta, but the prices are all pretty similar and I can usually sell Yanmar for less than the others. Plus, in my opinion, it is the best engine for a number of reasons: Design, reliability, smooth operation, excellent parts availability and a world wide service network second to none.

If you wanted to make a winter project of it (December - February), we could discount our labor 20%.

Craig

Quote 3
Please call me regarding engine choices.
The beta 16 which is 16hp but less cubic inches 2 cylinder, is marginal for your vessel, The Beta 20 is 20 hp with 45+ cubic inches 3 cylinder. Cannot estimate installation costs until we see the vessel. There are different panels , alternators, water heater fittings etc. I would GUESS a full installation may be $10,000.00-12000.00 with a Beta 20. The 16 is about 425.00 less.

This is neither a estimate or a quote, mearly best guess.

Ken

Quote 4
I rebuilt a Yanmar 2 cylinder last summer. the total job went just over $7000.00 . Everything was done, injection pump,injectors, oversized pistons, connecting rods , sea water pump etc...

The Beta 16 With a TMC 40 transmission lists for $9195.00
your price would be $7356.00
Items included in this price:
40 amp alternator
Serpentine belt system
Electric stop
heat exchanged cooling system, internal to exhaust manifold
High inertia flywheel
Intake silencer/air filter (a real filter) not a sponge
flexible mounts
flexible coupling
ABV instrument panel (Key switch, tachometer, stop button, warning lights)
Fitted oil change pump
shallow oil pan
low profile mixing elbow
shaft coupling to match transmission

Common upgrades:'
C Panel (tach.,oil,temp.,volt meters, stop button, key switch, warning lights) List $440 your price $352.00
Exhaust riser List price $290.00 your price $232.00
Water heater fittings list $49.00 your price $39.20
75 amp alternator List $296.00 your price $236.80

Labor to remove and install the beta 16 $3-4000.00
Misc. supplies $1000.00-2000.00

Talk to you soon,

Scott

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Final Decision

After several months scouting and calling marinas I found a still in the crate Nanni 3.75HE engine.
The owner had purchased someone else's fixer upper nightmare for $3,500 including a still in the crate engine.

For $7,400 I purchased the engine, labor and parts to remove and install the new engine, fuel tank cleaning, fuel line replacement and fuel filter replacements.

I purchased an extension harness ($150 - engine harness to control panel) and a new control panel ($800)

I come away owing $8,500 bill.

at 63 years of age, I figure I bought myself 20 years of sailing and then some. I'm not concerned about the next owner.

MJ